Wtk: Treatment Of '21 & '28 Wood

Hi guys,

I read the Thompson FACs and do not want to refinish anything. What do you use on '21 wood to preserve it as is and protect it?

The '28 wood from IMA has a few dents and is oily. What would be the best method to iron them out?

THANKS

Carey

well on the colt the wood is off it and packed in linseed and wrap...............since no chance of it getting bumped in the safe.........it has happened with a bunch of them,

and the parts are out and oil wrap.along with the upper and lower.

it depends on if you are preserving the wood.............

on the 28 wood,you can get replacement easy enough...and if you take one to shoot.use some junker wood to shoot,and keep the original good stuff salted away...........linseed is good,or tung-oil.........i have used both........i am sure you will get all the wood experts to chime in.........and thats great because they can help!!!

only on my upcoming savage.the original will stay on it........thats my s.h.t.f.s.g.wink!!

yep thompson's the care and feeding are fun......take care,ron

Hi Ron,

I appreciate the info. All the other guys are still trying to figure out "THE DRUM".

Speaking of s.h.t.f.s.g., during the 70s in New Orleans, we had a lot of crowd control problems. Finally, in desperation and in fear of his life, one of the uniformed officers( I have forgotten his name) bought his own TSMG even though the PD had TSMGs in the basement armory. All I remember is that it was a top cocker. He stepped out of his patrol car one day right in the middle of a riot so all the troublemakers could see, held the TSMG up high and just cocked it. The riot was over. I live in Texas now and the Texas Ranger motto was and may still be "One Riot, One Ranger". In New Orleans on than particular day in the 70s, the motto was "One Riot, One Thompson".

THANKS

Carey

thats a good story,funny you mention texas ranger's....i have a pic sent to me,from the guy who did the book on the rangers about 1993 i think.showing a old ranger being handed a thompson.

i like stories of real use of these gun's......sad to say alot of use was in the thirties and fourties,and alot of them have passed by now........

well linseed the wood.and keep it is good shape.because the old stuff is getting hard to find......heck have dan on the boards make you a duplicate set..........thats the best route i know.yep the drum, or is it the conan- nun drum??wink!! take care,ron

Ron,

One of the documented Ranger TSMGs came up for sale in Dallas at Christmas. I was not connected well enough to even bid on it. The owner did not want any "outsiders" bidding on it so it was not advertised. There are a lot of TSMGs in Dallas (TEXAS & OREGON from what I understand).

I was involved in the antique business in New Orleans for many years. One antique dealer on Magazine St. (rough neighborhood: I was born there) suffered a number of breakins. So he bought a top cocker TSMG with a drum mag. One night he caught a salt & pepper team in his shop and dumped an entire drum on them. Very messy and he blew away a good portion of his inventory in the process. But as far as I know, he never suffered another breakin. The bad guys would not even walk in front of his shop anymore because they knew he was waiting in there with "DAT GUN" as it was referred to.

Which bring me back to the wood: I always had better luck with tung oil in the south with the high humidity. Linseed oiled wood would get moldy after a while where tung oiled wood fared much better.

THANKS

Carey