Whats A Good Load For Reloading?

Advice needed:

(Note that any loads given should be a reference - and of course we should always start on the low end on the powder range and work up.)

I have read many questions about whether or not to reload - this is not one of those. What I would like to know (from those who DO reload) is what loads are you loading? I have been using 2.4g of win 231 w/200g lswc (cast bullet) cci primer loads in my 1911 with good success. Is this a good thompson load? Assume for a 1928 - unmodified condition (no 1921 actuator, etc.). My guess is the swc bullets could be a problenm, but would 200g round nose cast bullets work OK?

I was at the TCA shoot, and did not see any lead bullets being used at all. Are they a problem feeding, or causing leading in the guns?

Thanks in advance for your input! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

For my Thompson, I have used 5gr Bullseye/230FMJ Montana Gold Bullets and Winchester bullets.

I have also used HPC-1 and HPC-18 from Bartlett reloading www.gibrass.com These are pulled down powders from US and TZZ ammunition and they work very well.

5gr HPC-1/ 230FMJ WLP primers, assorted once fired brass

5.1gr HPC-18/230FMJ WLP primers, assorted once fired brass.

These will give you good MG ammo and I also use them in my Rock Island Armory .45 pistol.

The 2.4g of Win 231 w/200g lswc load is to light to function reliably in a Thompson. The original design load was “5 gr of powder and 230 gr FMJ bullet”. Often times SWC will feed just fine, I have fired thousands in years past without difficulty, but only in one gun.

I now load 5.0-5.2 gr Win 231 and a Berry’s 230 TMJ RN. This load, made to factory OAL spec, will function in any proper TSMG or semi.

The problem with lead; In FA fire the barrels get hot and leading of the bore will occur, but he biggest problem is with the Cutts compensator becoming fouled. No matter what you spray in there, it will become horribly fouled. The TMJ bullets are just a little more expensive than plain lead but are soooo much cleaner and easier on the barrel than FMJ. Don’t forget about the smoke from burning lube; I don’t miss that one bit, especially doing a mag dump!

My $.02

I followed PK's suggestion several weeks ago and used the load he just listed. Works great in my 28 - I loaded 1000 last week end. No leading of the bbl and no cleanup problem with the compensator.

Thanks PK - great load

I've been feeding my 1928 WH reloads using 5.1 grains of Win 231 behind a 230 grain FMJ bullet for almost 10 years without a problem. I tried cast bullets once, however the additional time spent cleaning lead out of the compensator didn't justify the small savings over FMJ bullets.

Use the FMJ rounds or it's a bitch to clean. I use Winchester primers and Zero brand 230gr. FMJ bullets. with Hodgdon's HP-38 Pistol powder at 5.2 grains. Worked just fine for 10k rounds in my WH '28.

I found a great deal on S&B FMJ rounds for just a few cents more than reloading. And it burns unbelievabley clean. Got in good at a local gun shop and he gets it to me at cost. Can't beat that for now!

Thanks a lot guys!

Now there is consensus about lead - don't use it.

The 5.0 gr of win 231 with the jacketed round nose is a good enough starting point for me. Time to fire up the old dillon again!

Thanks again! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif