Colt 21 Safety

Does anybody have a close up of a 21 safety that they can post. I am converting a Savage paddle to look like a 21. PK was quite helpful and advised that the hole that goes through the paddle in .209 but advised that the hole is chamfered with a concave recess. I would like to see a close up of this.

Thanks,

Richard

PK:

You are always a gentleman and very helpful. I think that we are trying to say the same thing. I looked up convex on dictionary.com and they said "Having a surface or boundary that curves or bulges outward, as the exterior of a sphere." Concave they said "Curved like the inner surface of a sphere." Now one of us is using the wrong word or I am confused about how the safety looks. Well, I know I'm confused or I wouldn't be asking this question. If you drill the hole and then run an oversized ball end mill into it, that is the way to form this feature? Maybe Arthur has a photo of this part from one of his Colt's that he would post. He was most helpful on my last post.

Richard,

This is the best picture I have of the Safety and Fire Control Lever from a Colt Thompson. Hope it helps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/Auto-Ordnance/165_6553crop.jpg

A ball mill will produce a concave radius; the opposite of what you want. To properly form that radius like a Colt part using a machine you will need to get a custom cutter ground.

Pk:

Dang, It is convex, just in the other direction than I was thinking. I can do it in the lathe. Is there a flat in the middle of the hole or do the two convex surfaces meet in the center? U like this or like this \_/ But rounded

Thanks,

Richard

They weren’t all exactly the same; a short cylindrical section can be found on some, others not. Whatever you do will be fine I’m sure.