Remington Model 10 Trench Shotgun?

I apologize if you have seen this on other forums but I am trying to cast a wide net. Got this shotgun some time ago and I think it is the real deal but I'd like people who know what they are looking at to give me their opinions. It cost quite a bit less than what I have seen on auction sites lately because someone (possibly the govt) had cut the barrel. A previous owner put a barrel extension on it to take it back to 23 inches. I was told the bayonet lug/adapter has been with it through several owners and might be original to the gun. The eagle head mark is very difficult to make out. The top wood guard was missing and I have been trying to replace it. Got a repro on there now but the color of the stain is a work in progress. A rear bracket was on there but I am using a repro on it right now.

Using Mr. Canfield's book, the serial number is in the " tends to fall in" range - 163,xxx. The US and flaming bomb look good on the correct side of the receiver. There is a hole near the muzzle where the set screw for the bayo lug goes. Mr. Canfield writes that there is supposed to be three transverse grooves for bayo adapter but mine does not have that - I thought that I read somewhere that these don't have the grooves and that is what the set screw was for - to keep the adapter from turning under stress? Can anyone confirm that? The sling swivels look good compared to photos I have seen. Any comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated. This is the only one that I have ever seen in person. If you need to see more photos please let me know.

Best,

John

post-2828-0-00150500-1600718322_thumb.jpeg

post-2828-0-07372300-1600718338_thumb.jpeg

post-2828-0-89951100-1600718359_thumb.jpeg

post-2828-0-28090300-1600718390_thumb.jpeg

post-2828-0-67826400-1600718419_thumb.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I didn't expect zero responses on this topic. Could it be the rarity or lack of experience with this model? At any rate, thank you all for looking.

Best,

John

Hi John,

Your barrel is correct. The three transverse screws actually serve to clamp the bayonet adapter tightly but do not mate with corresponding grooves as is the case with the Winchester adapters. Instead, with the Model 10, the adapter is secured to the barrel by a single set screw on the bottom. Sorry for the confusion.

Sincerely,

Bruce