My M1 Jamming...

Hi gang,

Had my Postal Meter M1 out shooting and experienced multiple FTF jams. The round would stay in the magazine jammed straight into the feed ramp. Had old mags & new Brownells mags. Both mags had the same FTF's. This carbine was sitting for a couple of decades but I cleaned & oiled it before talking it to the range. Was using standard Aguila 110gr FMJs.

The Aguilas are all I have at the time but I had two old rounds from decades ago. All I noticed was the older rounds case length was a tad longer than the Aguilas. I'm stuck until I can find some different ammo.

When I put this rifle away it never jammed. It was my favorite rifle when I was younger. WTH....

Just to ask …..when you stripped and oiled …..did you strip the mags , too ? Just saying that the spring in a .30 caliber carbine 15 round mag goes in backwards compared to most box mags . The top high part of the spring goes under the primer rather than the bullet .

Chris

Try different ammo, but is it short stroking? Does it cycle correctly when you do it manually? If it is feeding correctly when you manually cycle the action, then it could be the piston. Take the receiver out of the stock and look at the piston, does it move back and forth freely? Might need to take it to a smith and have them remove the piston and clean it and check gas system when they take it apart to make sure the piston is hitting at full power. If you fired it decades ago, put it away and has been sitting all this time, a gummed up piston would be suspect in my opinion.

Try different ammo, but is it short stroking? Does it cycle correctly when you do it manually? If it is feeding correctly when you manually cycle the action, then it could be the piston. Take the receiver out of the stock and look at the piston, does it move back and forth freely? Might need to take it to a smith and have them remove the piston and clean it and check gas system when they take it apart to make sure the piston is hitting at full power. If you fired it decades ago, put it away and has been sitting all this time, a gummed up piston would be suspect in my opinion.

Nope. The round doesn't even come out of the magazines. Moves a tiny bit and then stops on the feed ramp.

Sorry, just got off work, this has me puzzled but have questions for you. Are you using 15 or 30 round mags? Is your mag catch for 15 rounds or does it have M underlined which would be for 30 round mags. If you can, use just a 15 round mag and lock the bolt to the rear. Make sure the mag is fully seated up, can you actually push it up any further or pull the mag down or is it locked in? If it seated securely, let the bolt go forward, does the round chamber. If not, lock the bolt to the rear set your rifle down so the inserted mag is resting on the floor or ground, and then try to chamber a round again.

I am making some assumptions that you did not take your mags apart and everything was cycling fine the last time you fired it. I am thinking the mag catch/spring should be the issue but after doing everything above and still won't chamber, I would then disassemble the rifle, and look at the spring guide rod to see if it is bent and reassemble with careful attention of the slide and also test for any slop in the slide/bolt.

Is this a flat bolt or round bolt?

Good luck and hope you can get it to chamber right.

Edited by NFA amnesty
  • Upvote 1

I will check these things out the next time I take it out. And I was using 15 & 30 round mags. Old & brand new Brownells mags...And I don't think it is the recoil spring because even if I try and force the bolt closed it won't go forward. And it is a flat bolt.

Edited by brucea4

Check to make sure the magazine is locking in place. Do they fall out when release button is pushed?

Check your trigger housing fit and that the pin is in place.Check the extractor for stiffness and burrs.

Extractors are a weak link in these.

Edited by n64atlas

...And I don't think it is the recoil spring because even if I try and force the bolt closed it won't go forward. And it is a flat bolt.

Does the bolt go forward without a mag in the gun?

Remove the trigger housing and see if the bolt will close.

Yes the bolt goes forward no problem.

Tried an old 15 round mag and it ran perfect today with the Aguila. Tried an old 30 rd & new 30 rd mag and experienced the aforementioned jams again.

So is your mag catch just for 15 rounds mags or does it have the M underlined with with the extra latch?

30 round mags were too heavy for the original m1 carbine mag catch that was designed for 15 round mags. The improved mag catch has the M underlined and has a "latch or lever" that fits just under the 30 round mag solder/weld point. Look at one of your 30 runs mags and you will see the solder/weld point that the latch will fit under it to hold the mag in place. I suspect you have the original designed for 15 rounders.

30 round mags were too heavy for the original m1 carbine mag catch that was designed for 15 round mags. The improved mag catch has the M underlined and has a "latch or lever" that fits just under the 30 round mag solder/weld point. Look at one of your 30 runs mags and you will see the solder/weld point that the latch will fit under it to hold the mag in place. I suspect you have the original designed for 15 rounders.

It does not have a ( M ) stamped on it.

It does not have a ( M ) stamped on it.

But the M must be underlined to be a M2 mag catch. If it is just marked M, you need to purchase a M2 mag catch. Installation is not difficult, some youtube videos on how to replace/install mag catch.

Still think he should replace the recoil spring, with a "High Speed" type from Wolff Spring. Many an M1 cycling problem goes away when this is done. Seen plenty of M1's handle and shoot reliably 30rd mags with the standard M1 mag catch. But will agree, if its not a collector piece, replace your M1 catch with an M2 type. Hope you get that rifle in shape, the M1 Carbine is a complete joy and pleasure to shoot, fast, slow it doesn't matter. JB

Still think he should replace the recoil spring, with a "High Speed" type from Wolff Spring. Many an M1 cycling problem goes away when this is done. Seen plenty of M1's handle and shoot reliably 30rd mags with the standard M1 mag catch. But will agree, if its not a collector piece, replace your M1 catch with an M2 type. Hope you get that rifle in shape, the M1 Carbine is a complete joy and pleasure to shoot, fast, slow it doesn't matter. JB

Agree, love my m2 carbine (M2 kit installed). Hope you get your postal meter running and please let us know how it goes.