Guys,

I know this has been covered before, but please humor me:

How can a newbie distinguish between a “GI” 30 round mag (or 20) and an aftermarket one, if you will? I went to a gun show last weekend and there was this lady from South Carolina selling them (slightly pitted, still in wax/paper wrapper) for 15 bucks a pop…but I’m not sure what to look for. I’m gonna see her again in a month or so, and I wanna score a few good ones if I can.

Thanks

Robert

All the Thompson magazines were made during WWII. There are no aftermarket magazines that I am aware of. If it is wrapped in paper with the description and military nomenclature or numbers, it is more than likely legitimate.

The only exception to the WWII magazines that could cause confusion are the replica MGC magazines that were made for the MGA Replica Thompsons that have been the topic of much discussion on this list. These are easy to distinguish because they don't have the tab on the follower that engages the trip when empty.

Just turn the mag around and look at the back of it. If the hole is oblonged in the lower right corner their semi mags. If the hole is roundish they are full auto mags and would need the modification or changing of the mag latch to a GI style before working in a semi. Good price hunting

M1Brian

Thanks again to all you guys who responded...proof again of the quality of the people at this site and their patience and willingness to help those of us who are "educationally-challenged" about the subject! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Robert