27 replies to this topic

#21 Speeddemon02

Speeddemon02

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 364 posts
  • Interests:Guns, Trucks, Games, and Woodworking

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:38 PM

Sadly, I would skip S-469333 for now as there are too many questions and wait for another one with upfront to less to worry about.  It also appears to possibly be missing a buffer disk.

#22 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2725 posts
  • Interests:Thompson SMG, WWII, Firearms in general.

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:21 AM

Sadly, I would skip S-469333 for now as there are too many questions and wait for another one with upfront to less to worry about.  It also appears to possibly be missing a buffer disk.

Speeddemon02,

Where in the photos does it show a missing buffer disk?

#23 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2280 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:41 AM

First two pics show the pilot extending too far out. Probably assembled wrong - I have done that. The buffer is there in the disassembled views. 

Not an issue to worry about.

#24 Black River Militaria CII

Black River Militaria CII

Industry Expert

• Regular Group
  • 816 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:53 AM

“........I wonder if Tom was referring to the hole in the front of the sight base spring tunnel. 
Does anyone have an original Lyman with that hole? (I don't)”

Yes. I have spares with and without a hole as well as an example with a small rectangular block at the end wall of tunnel boss that is less than half the height of the tunnel boss which is h same as the Colt sight mounts. There is a small hole above the block. The hole allows a small pin or drift to be
inserted into the tunnel to drive out a rusted plunger and spring and to lube theplunger and spring.
The hole in the rear of the tunnel of the pictured gun appears to me to have been enlarged. I have had to drift out the plungeron the Lyman sights of several guns for prepping for rebluing and also have drilled a hole in the rear wall of the tunnel to drift out frozen plunger with the sight off the receiver on at least one gun. FWIW

Edited by Black River Militaria CII, 08 February 2019 - 06:07 PM.

#25 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2725 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:35 AM

“........I wonder if Tom was referring to the hole in the front of the sight base spring tunnel. 
Does anyone have an original Lyman with that hole? (I don't)”

Yes. I have spares with and without a hole as well as an example with a small rectangular block at the end wall of tunnel boss
that is less than half the height of the tunnel boss. There is a small hole above the block. The hole allows a small pin or drift to be
inserted into the tunnel to drive out a rusted plunger and spring and to lube theplunger and spring.
The hole in the rear of the tunnel of the pictured gun appears to me to have been enlarged. I have had to drift out the plunger
on the Lyman sights of several guns for prepping for rebluing and also have drilled a hole in the rear wall of the
tunnel to drift out frozen plunger with the sight off the receiver on at least one gun. FWIW

Black River Militaria CII,

Interesting, never saw that before.  Are you saying the hole was factory applied or drilled merely to drift out a frozen plunger and spring by an owner or gunsmith?

#26 Speeddemon02

Speeddemon02

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 364 posts
  • Interests:Guns, Trucks, Games, and Woodworking

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:45 AM

Ahh, nevermind about the disk, my browser was only allowing me to see the first picture

#27 imageaudio

imageaudio

Long Time Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:I reload ammo and participate in competitive shooting. I also do very minor gunsmithing such as installation of sights, polishing internals and trigger jobs.

My primary objective in all things is safety first.

Posted 23 February 2019 - 03:51 AM

Would anyone care to comment on this current listing?    Looks a little rough.   Upper and Lower do not match and not sure why the lower frame serial numbers appear to have been re-stamped.   Any observations would be appreciated.

https://gunspot.com/listings/detail/418/thompson-1928a1-bridgeport/ 

Attached File  SNCU.jpg   80.9K   16 downloads

Edited by imageaudio, 23 February 2019 - 04:03 AM.

#28 gijive

gijive

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2725 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 09:12 AM

Would anyone care to comment on this current listing?    Looks a little rough.   Upper and Lower do not match and not sure why the lower frame serial numbers appear to have been re-stamped.   Any observations would be appreciated.

https://gunspot.com/listings/detail/418/thompson-1928a1-bridgeport/ 

attachicon.gif SNCU.jpg

imageaudio,

The grip frame may have come from a parts kit, obviously not original to the gun.  Sometimes they were stamped by military or foreign armorers to match to a receiver after a gun was armory repaired.  In the case, neither number matches the receiver number, so just a replaced grip frame.

Attached File  TSMG-2.jpg   82.02K   14 downloads

In addition, the receiver appears to reblued.  That "plum" color usually comes from rebluing at an improper temperature for the bluing solution.  Notice how it doesn't match the grip frame, which appears to be the proper black oxide finish.  The barrel appears to have been removed at some point due to the sloppy use of an incorrect wrench to remove the barrel as evidenced by the ringed scratches on the barrel.  The good news is the gun is the proper configuration for that Savage serial number range.  Guns in that range would have the fixed "L" sight and the smooth barrels

Attached File  TSMG-1.jpg   51.82K   14 downloads

If you are on a budget, it is a WWII gun, but you could probably do better for a little more money.