1989 West Hurley 1927A1 Deluxe

Good Afternoon guys.

I have the opportunity to trade into a 1989 West Hurley 1927A1 Deluxe from a friend of mine. Comes with 1- 10 round drum and a blocked stick magazine, plus some ammo. Is there anything to look out for on the West Hurleys? I shot 200 rounds of various ammo through the carbine without a hiccup, and it does seem to be in 95% or better condition. Is this worth adding to the collection?

modify the mag catch!!!

Ya, do not ruin a 70 plus year old magazine.

I'll find the tutorial. How are the new made 50 round drums? Currently I have the 10 round one but it is a little bit of a pain to load for 10 rounds.

Get one of the Taiwanese drums ... They work pretty well

modify the mag catch!!!

Ya, do not ruin a 70 plus year old magazine.

I'll find the tutorial. How are the new made 50 round drums? Currently I have the 10 round one but it is a little bit of a pain to load for 10 rounds.

Get one of the Taiwanese drums ... They work pretty well

Excellent! I will try to find one.

I think I will get a second mag latch to modify, I would hate to ruin antique mags.

I ordered 4 [2x20, 2x30] mags from whatacountry and they screwed my order up [1x20, 3x30] and sent a crappy mag too. I contacted them to return the rusty [30]mag, they said keep it and sent a decent 20 rd mag on their dime. Guess it was the new guys first day. It’s been a while so maybe he’s promoted up to shift foreman by now.

Cant say enough good things about Dan. He did a great job on my Thompson.

Edited by Baltimoreed11754

• 3 weeks later...

Update. Love this little carbine. Been working on the stock nightly with boiled linseed oil, really starting to bring out the beauty of the walnut. Tempted to replace the slab side grips with new once, but feel bad as it is a characteristic of a West Hurley.

I do have a question though, why does it have a sling swivel on the rear stock but nowhere to attach a sling forward?

The butt stocks of both WH & Kahr firearms fit ALL of their various models, less the pistol varieties. Should you choose to install a "horizontal" forestock, a sling swivel would then be there. I have done so, and love it. Just waiting on my "new" Cutts compensator & front sight from Numrich, & off to Mr. Block for SBR. I bought a 10.5" bbl years ago, when they were relatively inexpensive. I think I paid less than 100 bux.

Dan just finished my sbr bbl swap along with the no tool takedown mod or whatever he calls it. He also made it where a 1928 stock will slide on/off. But be warned I’ve been waiting over a month for an original ‘28 stock slide from overseas, thinking it was lost I ordered another [new reproduction] from GPC only to find that they’re currently processing orders from April. Who knows when either will get here. But everyone has 1928 wood. I did fire 10 rds through it as a pistol and while it ‘weell keel’ it isn’t a very good pistol. The 1911s got nothing to worry about.

Edited by Baltimoreed11754