Just Saw A Pd's 1928 Navy Overstamp

Was in court this am, and ran into the police chief. Talked about Corvettes for a while, then I said, heard you've got a Thompson stashed away. He said yeah, let's go take a look. I was expecting a 1928 AO, and a slim chance it was a Colt.

Turns out it was a 1928 Navy Overstamp. Had an original 1920/1921 patent dated mag with it. Finned barrel, Lyman sights, paddle levers. In fairly rough shape. I am not a Thompson guru by any means, but it looked to be in about 70% condition. Barrel was nice, Cutts showed wear, wood was excellent, lower excellent, but the receiver had a bunch of pitting around the magwell, and bluing worn through on several places on the receiver. Looked like it rode around in a floorboard for a while.

And, I'm ashamed to say, forgot to note the serial number.

Had an original Guide Lamp greaser as well.

If anyone wants to know, I can probably get the serial number.

Ken

TN Ken--

I'm in your area. I was curious which PD. Would you be able to share? Thanks

Yep, Bristol. Doubt that it will ever go up for sale. Chief knows what he has in both pieces.

Ken

I'm actually glad PD knows the value of these things. Even though we won't get the deals, at least they will be less likely to torch them.

He's just that way. Sentimental, cool factor, been there for years, neat to drag out every now and then. My guess is that the grease gun would be a problem as it is probably a government loan deal, making it about worthless. Wouldn't surprise me if the 28 was the same.

Ken

Herigstad, Cox and Hill list Colt 28 Navy NO 8754 as being originally purchased by the Bristol, Tennessee Police Department. Herigstad states the rear sight is marked in meters and was owned by Law Enforcement Equipment Corp in Nashville, TN in 1984. The last known address for NO 8754 was in a private collection in Maryland as of 2002.

I wonder if Bristol PD had two (or more) Colt Thompsons. The serial number of this pony gun would be nice to know. Perhaps it may be an unregistered Colt Thompson that someone donated to the department – or Gordon, Roger and Tracie have the wrong information about Bristol, TN Police Department’s Colt Thompson. Thanks for the report.

Here's what I know. Bristol, Tennessee sold it's Thompson about 10 years or so ago. THis one is on the other side of town, in Virginia. Stamped prominently B.V.P.D. as is the greaser.

Ken