Finally fired my weapon of war M1A1---what a blast!

After sitting in the old gun safe for the last few months, finally took my new to me AOC Bridgeport to the range. Have never fired a Thompson nor this particular weapon, so started out loading just 5 rounds in the mag and firing semi-auto. All functioned well and then loaded 10 rounds and fired a couple of short bursts on full auto and again all was well. Loaded up 30 rounds mags and HAD A BLAST. I expected a lot more muzzle rise, but to be honest had no issues controlling the Thompson even when dumping mags.

Have to admit, this is one of my top weapons to shoot now based on fun factor. My MP40 is almost to easy to shoot and really does not require a lot of skill to keep on target. I do like the M3A1 and also easier to control but just something about that M1A1 and being able to tame it.

I was expecting my Thompson to be a beast to control but was actually not bad. Of course I am 6' 4", 225 and have long "ape arms" so for me is not that uncomfortable to shoot.

I only fired 250 rounds from 10 and 20 yards but point of aim was good and punched a hole in the middle of the target by the time I was done.

Very glad I purchased a Thompson and still have a grin on my face!

Almost forgot to mention this------Zero malfunctions.

Edited by NFA amnesty

Nice, Pvt. Babra. Taking mine (non-matching Savage) out tomorrow. Now youve got me thinking I shouldnt have bought (an Erb tube) MP-40... and even paid too much, to add insult to injury.

Is your forend (fore grip, whatever) lose or solidly attached?

When our WWII movie heroes carry the M1A1, its hard to not love them.

Edited by GaryKeim

Nice, Pvt. Babra. Taking mine (non-matching Savage) out tomorrow. Now youve got me thinking I shouldnt have bought (a fake Erb tube) MP-40... and even paid too much, to add insult to injury.

Is your forend (fore grip, whatever) lose or solidly attached?

When our WWII movie heroes carry the M1A1, its hard to not love them.

It's Babra not Barbra Big Joe. The "front grip" is night and tight, sorry you are having problems with yours. I have no regrets purchasing my MP40 which is also an Erb tube gun and runs great, and gets a lot of attention at the range but does not really require that much skill set to shoot. My Thompson has both upper and lower AOC markings but was amnesty registered, had the left side nomenclature including serial number grounded off along with US property but does have inspection marks so have no way of knowing if the upper and lower are original to each other but suspect they are. I have a big old IRS serial number placed on top of the receiver but the weapon is in excellent condition along with the wood, bore, and barrel rifling. No pitting and someone did an excellent job with the newer finish job. I suspect someone took it towards the end of the war and brought it back in a duffle and doubt it ever saw any combat. This is just conjecture on my part and have no way of knowing. The Thompson is just plain cool.

Have fun at the range tomorrow and let us know how it goes.

Edited by NFA amnesty

Barbara! Yes, it’s a lot of fun to fire, but more rise than the ‘28 Navy probably due to (but can’t prove it) the Cutts.

I can’t hit the center of the target from 25 yards on FA... can barely _see_ the center of the target! In SA I’m much more accurate, not surprisingly.

I find the Thompsons one of the easier to control SMGs, and rate of fire is about "perfect" for me. MP-5 rate is good, and accurate, but there is something about whacking stuff with a 45 cal slug. I prefer the 28 model, but I do like the higher rate of fire in the colt 21. The Thompson layout of grips/ stock makes the gun easy to point shoot, and easy to hit with from the hip out to 50 yds - more so than the MP-5 ( my opinion). Personally I have found that a ROF around 700-800 RPM to be "good" for me personally when shooting at typical tactical stuff . The Greaseguns are to slow, and I find that I am waiting for the SMG to put enough rounds on target so I can move on.... We did a LOT of work related SMG shooting at all kinds of stuff, and a lot of tactical training applications, not just paper and pumpkins. I was able to bring out various SMGs besides the MP-5s, and try them side by side. Some old pics from training/ work DSC00361.JPG1_DSC00369.JPG

SRT%20group%20picture.JPG

DSC04152.JPG

Barbara! Yes, it’s a lot of fun to fire, but more rise than the ‘28 Navy probably due to (but can’t prove it) the Cutts.

I can’t hit the center of the target from 25 yards on FA... can barely _see_ the center of the target! In SA I’m much more accurate, not surprisingly.

I was accustomed to a '28 with compensator and the M1 did seem to rise a bit the first time I fired it. But now I shoot the M1 better than the '28 or '21. Familiarity is part of it, and I like the M1 rear sight a lot more.

I do still shoot and enjoy the earlier versions, but the M1 is now my favorite Thompson.

Please share your thoughts after another range session or two.

I find the Thompsons one of the easier to control SMGs, and rate of fire is about "perfect" for me. MP-5 rate is good, and accurate, but there is something about whacking stuff with a 45 cal slug. I prefer the 28 model, but I do like the higher rate of fire in the colt 21. The Thompson layout of grips/ stock makes the gun easy to point shoot, and easy to hit with from the hip out to 50 yds - more so than the MP-5 ( my opinion). Personally I have found that a ROF around 700-800 RPM to be "good" for me personally when shooting at typical tactical stuff . The Greaseguns are to slow, and I find that I am waiting for the SMG to put enough rounds on target so I can move on.... We did a LOT of work related SMG shooting at all kinds of stuff, and a lot of tactical training applications, not just paper and pumpkins. I was able to bring out various SMGs besides the MP-5s, and try them side by side. Some old pics from training/ work DSC00361.JPG1_DSC00369.JPG

SRT%20group%20picture.JPG

DSC04152.JPG

I can tell you a sub gun I do not care for is the UMP40. Our department has those and not a fan of the .40 caliber especially for a sub gun. Would rather have .45ACP or 9mm.

Edited by NFA amnesty

Agree, think it would be easier with a Cutts but as others have said, take it out a few more times, and also try to acquire a M1A1 bolt. You can fire your Thompson with both and see which bolt set up you like better. I have the fixed firing pin M1A1 bolt and have not fired with a M1 floating so can't tell you which is better or easier to control but believe the fixed has a slower rate of fire...in theory. I think when you "tame the beast", you will just love taking it to the range.

My M2 carbine is harder to control than the Thompson, but have fun shooting that rifle too. Would love to fire a M14 on full auto but that has got to be horrible...but would be fun trying.

Edited by NFA amnesty

I do have a NOS M1A1 bolt still in the wrapper. Guess I will swap it in for the next range visit.

Try a BAR on FA... I cannot get off more than 4 rounds before I am shooting into the ceiling, and they do not like that very much. ;^)

PS - changing my posting grammar to overcome the limitation of this site wrt contractions.

Edited by GaryKeim

Agree, think it would be easier with a Cutts but as others have said, take it out a few more times, and also try to acquire a M1A1 bolt. You can fire your Thompson with both and see which bolt set up you like better. I have the fixed firing pin M1A1 bolt and have not fired with a M1 floating so can't tell you which is better or easier to control but believe the fixed has a slower rate of fire...in theory. I think when you "tame the beast", you will just love taking it to the range.

My M2 carbine is harder to control than the Thompson, but have fun shooting that rifle too. Would love to fire a M14 on full auto but that has got to be horrible...but would be fun trying.

FWIW, the GI "recoil check" that clamps on the end of the barrel really does work on the M2 Carbine. I got one after watching some comments on a "Forgotten Weapons" video and it turns the M2 into a different weapon in full auto.

>> I find the Thompsons one of the easier to control SMGs, and rate of fire is about "perfect" for me. MP-5 rate is good, and accurate, but there is something about whacking stuff with a 45 cal slug.

I just took a Defensive Carbine course with my MP-5 clone (FA-ready... I am not yet ready to buy the sear). I really like it but one thing I do not like is the safety selector... it is way to tight and not natural to reach. It could be the clone and not a feature of an original MP-5. Ill need to address that before I take the next level course that has to do with working in a team, force-on-force.

I like the pucka pucka bump of machineguns.

FALs, HK91s etc are simply too forceful to enjoy casually.

Certainly not for sharing.

Yes there is a satisfaction in controlling them.

In .22 Mgs its like pointing a hose.

The Thompson is in the "Goldilocks Zone".

Just right.

These are toys to make you smile.

Everything about a Thompson makes me smile.

I would add the BAR, G3 to that list of too-much-power (in FA) Cap’n!

Aint got one.

I can only imagine.

Shoulda bought a pre WW2 specimen in an auction for a steal less than a year ago but was busy "working" .

What a dolt !

WORK !

When will I learn !!

;)