Current Prices For M-14

newtommygunner

Thanks, I'm still struggling. From your post, (1. An original M14 as issued, with an original receiver that was never cut.), A Winchester with out selector switch. that's what I picked up.

Edited by homie

Ron, I am referring to An original M14 semi auto, as issued, with an original receiver that was never cut. A Winchester, with out selector switch. Not registered

Original M14 receivers cannot be legally converted to a semi-automatic-only, the ATF's position is "once a machine gun always a machine gun"

A few demilled (cut) receivers were welded back together and sold as semi-autos, but I think the ATF stopped them from doing it.

If you have an original M14 without the selector switch it's still considered a machine gun. If its not registered its contraband = possession is a felony.

• Upvote 1

Frank, I appreciate your straightforward answer. After reading numerous posts on open forum, I was not comfortable buying the weapon, (although I would like to own an M 14) I made the decision to let it pass, and I will always look back and wish I had bought the gun. Thanks again.

Frank, I appreciate your straightforward answer. After reading numerous posts on open forum, I was not comfortable buying the weapon, (although I would like to own an M 14) I made the decision to let it pass, and I will always look back and wish I had bought the gun. Thanks again.

I believe you made the right decision at least until you find out what the real story is behind the gun you saw for sale.

Welcome to the boards and the advice from Frank is literally from "the guy who wrote the book".

Ron

• Upvote 1

If you have an original uncut U.S. GI contract M14 receiver that is not registered it is illegal.

However,

There are a lot of commercial (not GI) M14 and M1A marked receivers that were made as semi-automatics and are legal.

Are sure you have a 1960's GI receiver? The original manufacturers were: Winchester, TRW, H&R Arms Co and the original government Springfield Armory.

The commercial Springfield Armory was opened after the original gov't facility closed. Commercial Springfield Armory receivers are marked M1A, not M14.

and they have a trademark on them, a letter T inside of a circle. Many commercial M1A serial numbers start with a zero, no original's do (except for a few original presentation guns that were given to dignitaries)

The ATF says

You cannot legally change a machine gun to a semi-automatic-only by just removing the selector switch.

I suggest you visit the ATF website.