NFA transfers and the Coronavirus

maxfaxdude

I just received a January 27, 2020 submission on a suppressor for a Trust customer. It was approved on June 26th. I am waiting for an M16A2 to transfer on a Form 4 to my license. It was filed March 31, 2020. That seems to be a long time for a transfer to a dealer. I also noticed that eForm3s are taking about a week rather than overnight.

Is the Colt M16A1, the same that’s posted on Strumgewehr today? If it’s one in the same. Cool. We’ve been waiting since 4/17 as pending for a Form 4 transfer to our SOT. All was mailed in by the transferor 4/2.

David

It is (It is actually an M16A2). It is a beautiful gun with very little wear. I have it on GunBroker for $1,000 more to make up for their fees, but I expect it to sell from one of the boards.

I will tell you something that is ridiculous. I sold an M16 to a non-dealer individual the same week that I bought the M16A2. He received his stamp the same week I did.

It is indeed a nice M16A2.

Looks like I’ll use your Form 4 time frame as the unit of measure. We’re at a few days over 4 months from it going pending with an examiner assigned to it.

At your previous post, I figured approval at 5-6months

A couple of years ago, we had an incoming Form 4 MP40 bring back at 33days from pending.

Post Covid seems to have created a backlog.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Form4 trust

Cashed 4-8-20

Approved 8-21-30

4.5 months!!!!

Amazing how it dropped from 10 months to 4.5 months in such a short time. What happened ???

I mailed my Form 4 Individual on June 12, 2020, and BATF's records show it as accepted on 06/17/20 and in pending status. I asked the call agent if he had a ballpark figure on approval - he said they're averaging seven months. I would obviously be a lot happier at 4.5 months. :)

Im at 4 weeks now. On Saturday its 30 days and Im requesting a copy. Hopefully the stamp still comes but I want to get the process of a copy going. Probably sitting on someones desk.

Been through this before.

Dont count out the post office losing it. They have been iffy since the Covid started.

Edited by Petroleum 1

• 3 weeks later...

It took almost exactly a year from Thanksgiving 2018 to Thanksgiving 2019 to,get the stamp for a suppressor. I used a trust to purchase it. One of the guys at my club recently “built” his can; he received the stamp in just over a month.

that will have you looking at drill presses at Harbor Freight!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Looks like I just beat the curtain call ;) No but it seems that the wait times are pretty favorable. I have an Individual form 4 went that went pending 9/15/2020, and it was just approved on 1/18/2021. I still have the snail mail wait but hopefully others are seeing similar times.

Just an update, the stamp arrived at my dealer on 2/2 so just a hair over two weeks from approval to receipt. It is a nice surprise since the ATF said it could be upwards of 60 days to receive from approval.

Edited by 83Baron