Factory or New Reising Bolt... which one to use?

Thompsonlover

I am currently waiting on a Reising to be transferred to me. The owner of the gun has had it for 20 years and says it fires perfectly. Are the newly manufactured bolts so much improved that I should swap out the original for one? I appreciate any opinions as I don't know much about these guns. Thanks!

The original bolt can be somewhat prone to failure; it may crack either just behind the notch that fits the action bar or through the transverse hole for the pin that retains the firing pin. Some never crack some do, there's no way of predicting. Get a spare, either original or newly manufactured, and try it in the gun. You may need to fiddle with it a bit, tolerances on Reisings often leave something to be desired. Once you've got it running with the spare switch back to the original and hope you never need the spare.

The new bolts are an unknown quantity. The stress relief radius that Indianapolis Ordnance put in the notch should solve many of the issues. You will have to make a very minor alteration to the action bar to use one but it should not have any effect on operation when used with the original bolt