Newbie With Questions

Last weekend I purchased a Kahr Arms Thompson 1927A-1, and I have a few questions. I checked the Kahr Arms site, and they don't have email support for the average person (only dealers), so I was hoping some of you could help. I am totally new to this messageboard and to the Thompson, but I have a little gun knowledge.

1. Is it ok to leave the "third hand" in the slot, or should it be removed when not needed to remove the drum magazine.

2. The manual states that the drum magazine key should not be turned more than the stated number of times printed on the magazine. If one accidentally turns it more than that amount of times, is there a procedure to safely release the pressure, or some other action that should be taken?

3. If you turn the drum magazine key without the magazine loaded will it damage the magazine?

4. Is Wolf .45 230 grain FMJ safe to shoot?

5. Kahr Arms (www.tommygun.com) advertises magazines for what seems to be incredibly high prices ($139 for a *10* round drum mag?? Sure it looks cool, but isn't that a little expensive for such a small amount of rounds?). Is there somewhere else to get Thompson magazines any cheaper? www.autoweapons.com seems to have some more reasonable prices, but will those magazines work with the Kahr Arms Thompson?

Thanks in advance for any information anyone may have!

Raphael:

Welcome!

Make sure to read over the FAQ at the top of the board. Some of your questions may be addressed there. I'll stab at a few of 'em.

2. The drum shouldn't be wound more than the stated number of clicks. You can damage the spring. The only way to release the tension is to shoot it or manually push the rounds out of the drum with your finger. Never disassemble a wound drum.

3. I don't think winding an empty drum would necessarily damage it, but why would you?

5. The only drums still made (other than law enforcement drums in the 50 round capacity) are the 10 rounders. I think you can thank Clinton for that. Think high capacity magazine ban. Yes expensive but high coolness factor. You can still buy the old preban drums in, say, 50 round capacity, but they go for anywhere from $500 and up, up, up! See the FAQ for more on this. I don't see any bargains at autoweapons. Check out the prices on the original drums. Now, 20 and 30 round "stick" mags are very plentiful and cheap, though there are trouble using these in your gun. See the FAQ section on reshaping the mag catch for the details.

Chris, you mentioned that one should never disassemble a wound Drum. Though the practice I'm sure can snip off ones Fingers, I've done this to unload a wound up Drum, when I wasn't able to push the rounds out by hand. One must be careful, and hold the Rotor back while pushing out one round at a time. On the last Track, the tension is pretty low, and doesn't seem to cause any problems. If one takes caution, it's possible to do. I've done it many, many times.

Yes, well, to tell a family secret, so have I! Especially when a round tumbles. But, you can lose a tip like you said. I should not have spoken in absolutes. Suffice to say taking one apart is not the best way to do it!

Raphael, if you take a look through the FAQ, and do a search of this Forum, and the "Old" Thompson Forum, you will find all that you desire on the '27A1 Guns. Congrats on the purchase. There are many things you can do, and if your State allows, you could (once you obtained ATF approval) install a 10.5" TSMG Barrel to create an even more impressive Gun. Forum Member PK did a fantastic job on a '27A1 gun that I own. Known to all here as Project "X". Though the Barrel is 16.5", PK moved the Compensator over the Barrel to create a shorter look. There were so many improvements done, it looks almost identical to an early produced Thompson SMG. And with these custom modifications, a "Third Hand", is NO longer needed! As far as Drums. 10Rd Drums can be found a little cheaper. Sometimes even on eBay. 50Rd Drums can fetch anywhere from $500.00 and up, with most priced between $650.00 for a West Hurley Drum, to over a $1000.00 for WW2 Production and earlier Drums. I wouldn't shoot Wolf. Though I have used it in the past without problems, something about Steel Cased Ammo I don't like. I prefer the Brass stuff. Pick yourself up a copy of Shotgun News. Better yet, subscribe to it. (Three issues a month, and it's ALWAYS a treat going out to the Mail Box to see if the newest copy had shown up!) Anyway, there are numerous adds within that publication that have decent prices on .45 FMJ. Also, you may want to check out Sellier & Bellot. I've never had any problems with this ammo. Good stuff, and reasonable! Also, Gun Shows can be a good source to purchase ammo, and that way, you wouldn't be spending the extra $$ on Shipping. Hope this helps, welcome, and have fun!

In reference to leaving the Third Hand in the Magazine Well. You said, "Is it OK?" There is no reason why it shouldn't be, but why would you want to? If it were me, I wouldn't. If you should need your Gun in a hurry, and all that you have is a Stick Mag, why waste any time installing the Mag, when the 3rd Hand would be in the way? Food for thought.

Thanks for all the info! You guys have been very helpful.

Good point about the 3rd hand, Lionhart.

1930s, I was just inspecting the gun and clips and I opened the drum to figure out how to load it (don't have any ammo yet). After I closed the drum and put the key back in I wound it a few times without thinking. That's why I was wondering if winding it unloaded would damage it.

So unloading the drum releases the tension then? If so, then if it's not loaded to begin with and you wind it, no tension would build up so it would be ok?

You will not harm your drum by turnng the key while it is empty. You will hear the stop springs snapping over there seats, but no harm will be done.