Thoughts on This Colt

I am looking for my first Thompson and have my eye on this one. I'm hoping it may go for less than a normal Colt due to the condition.

I have been drinking from the fire hose lately, trying to get educated, and all I know now is how little I know about these pieces.

Any red flags? It appears the barrel has been replaced due to differences in finish color. How much will that, and the overall wear impact the value?

Anyone want to give me guidance on what I should offer - or if I should stay away?

Thanks in advance for sharing your vast knowledge with me! I really need the help... :)

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12862-ftcolt-1921-thompson-4-digit-sn/

The seller doesnt even know what the correct price should be so hes playing games ugh. Ruben just listed a 21/28 navy on MGC and sturm site that is worth looking at. Rubens prices might be a little high but he has nice stuff. Edited by Petroleum 1

i would force him to list a price...$50,000,000 is not a price...id even accept $100,000 but $50,000,000 is thumbing his nose at you Dave

id wipe it

no i would not even consider buying a gun from this person...he is not living on earth and having dealt with his type before this ad will sit for a year or 2....he obviously doesnt want to sell the gun..maybe his wife is forcing him to? (i had a person selling a mp40 for well over normal price admit it was because his wife told him to sell and he didnt want to)

move on, find a nicer gun

Hey, two can play silly games. Offer him $.50 for the gun.

Jim C

thats the kinda stuff id do

feed his stupidity with more stupidity...since he wont give a real price offer him $20k for it, then $20,001 next week and so on

to each their own...to him ? he is a evil genius and he will come out way ahead using this method...to me? he is wasting his time and doesnt want to sell his gun

Some months back there was an add on another site the seller wanted to trade for his FA. He listed certain guns he was interested in. I asked him what would be your selling price if i had nothing to trade. He posted a real accurate selling price. It was more than i wanted to spend on that gun but at least i knew where i stood on the deal. Edited by Petroleum 1

Rimcrew,

I only saw the pictures briefly on my iPhone this morning before the advertisement was pulled. However, the barrel jumped out at me as a possible replacement just based on the low resolution pictures. In my opinion, a replacement barrel lowers the value considerably. If a replacement barrel, it is a shooter grade gun. If not priced to sell, I would keep looking.

I just checked my 3rd Edition of Gordon's book. NO 5863 was originally sold as a 21AC, owned at one time by J. Curtis Earl, and later ended up in California as a dewat. That would explain the "new" appearing barrel. I would also want to inspect it closely for any other deficiencies or missing parts.

Good eye on the barrel. And a great learning experience.

• Upvote 1

If I were in market Id look closer at the one Ruben listed. Books case is a nice addition $$

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12698-colt-21-28-us-navy-w-case-lots-of-accessories/

Personally I dont get the game with the trade deal. He also was interested in dead presidents on stripper paper ie cash so not sure what was the deal with putting a price out there.

Ron

Only the first 1000 Thompsons (or the barrels of) had the serial number electro-penciled on the breech end.

I posted on his ad on Sturm, I made a deal with the guy a couple weeks ago and we were both happy with it. When he first posted the ad, there was a price on it, not the $50M he has now.

He and I went back and forth for a few days with getting info for each other and spent a couple hours talking. Hes a decent guy to deal with. If you are interested, give him a call or email.

Not sure of all the Bru ha ha here. I don't know the gent but some folks like to trade and also like cash on the barrel head, especially older guys.

Cash makes things less expensive. IMHO is one of the reasons gun shows are under attack, because private sells aren't taxed and folks that control the shows want that tax money. If they drive private sellers to taxed only venues it increases the tax revenues.

Here is a snippet in calling out folks you do not know. Sr Chief Don Shipley calls out posers and warns to not call out legitimate folks. Know the difference.

Enjoy. Actual SEAL and jarhead language is used so watch accordingly.

Why you need to not jump on the band wagon, without doing your research.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Isjt1YR5fVQ

Real callout of posers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83e7iWkSUl4