Cocking A Wh 28. Two Positions?

Seems like I recall reading this here (or maybe even in American Thunder) but can't remember. When I cock my WH 28 it's able to be locked back in two positions. One about 3/4 or so the way back and also when the bolt is all the way back. Anyone know why this is?

Not just WH. All 21/28

Couple possibilities

1) The idea being the first notch is the optimum sear notch as the bolt is at maximum rear ward travel, and essentially stopped when the sear engages, reducing hammering on the sear that would occur if the bolt is moving forward

2) the rear most sear notch makes manually cocking the gun easier rather than having to put the bolt all the way back.

3) the rear notch makes it possible to shut off the gun if weak ammo won't push the bolt all the way back.

4) the two notchs in tandem act as a second chance of catching teh bolt if notch one lets go.

I suspect 1 and 2 are most correct.

Doug

I understood it was if your ammo was not quite up to snuff it would catch the forward notch if it didn't have enough poop to push the bolt to the aft notch. Kevin

QUOTE (PK. @ Jan 19 2004, 10:24 PM)

There are two notches in either the 21/28 or M1/A1 bolts (towards the front of the rectangular body) which will hold the bolt in the cocked position, one a little further back than the other. The “first” notch catches the bolt in the rear most position. The “second” notch is about 5/8” back of the first and will allow the bolt to be that much further forward when cocked. It’s purpose is to catch the sear if the first notch misses it in semi auto fire.

The third notch in the M1/A1 bolt (towards the rear of the bolt) allows the sear to raise up so the safety can be engaged with the bolt closed.