My Thompson Magazine Book Is Done!

SP Sarge,

Hopefully the hard cover will be available in the next week or two. Still have to sort through some of the Amazon details.

I'll hold on for the hardback one.

Perhaps it is my age, but I recall that hardback books used to proceed their 'paperback' versions, at least in the UK.

Sadly, the hard cover edition will be delayed at least a month due to Amazon lead times. Therefore, those wanting that option will have to wait until at least early June, and possibly longer. I do not know if this has to do with the hard cover option still being in beta, or whether they are still working out the kinks, or perhaps where and how they assemble the books. Out of my control.

Good point Richard! That old publishing adage was true on this side of the pond as well. First editions in hard cover, then eventually move to mass market via paperback. Publishing on-demand has apparently turned that around. It is much easier to publish a book in paperback than with a hard cover. The lead times I am seeing with this book reinforce that difference. Amazon (Kindle) did not even have a hard cover option for self-publish until the past year, and it has been in beta with a number of restrictions. My guess is that a majority of this kind of book will continue to be published primarily or only in paperback.

I've been skimming through the book since yesterday. I had no idea there were so many variations of magazines. I can't imagine how much time and work went into putting this all together. Really well done.

Roger brought a couple of proof copies of his new book to the Ohio Gun Collectors Assocation (OGCA) Display Show. His author's table was very busy with everyone wanting a copy. It was a treat to review all of Roger's work in this wonderful new book. It is a must have for every Thompson enthusiast! I cannot wait to obtain a copy.

This is another reason to attend the Thompson Collectors Assocation (TCA) Show & Shoot in a couple of weeks. No doubt, Roger's first order of books will sell out quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Roger!

Got the book I ordered from you in perfect shape.....opened it up and couldn't put it down!

Realized that although I have a big pile of drums and a couple hundred mags, I knew very little about any of them!

Now I have to get out all my drums and see exactly what I have (and I see a couple rare ones in the mix!).....and ine new in the box.

And mags too. I know I have a flawless MSCO marked mag, but I also need to open a 15 mag wrapped package of xx mags I bought from omega at SAR 2008.

Time to see what I have, and Im smiling!

Edited by john

• 2 weeks later...

As SP Sarge discovered, the hard cover version of my book just went live today on Amazon. If you want a signed copy sent to you, please send me an Email at roger.herbst@att.net.

I have just sent information to those that were on my list of people wanting a hard cover version. Check you Email or messages.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought one of your books from Amazon, Great Book!

As you are an authority on Thompson magazines do you know where I could get a rotor retention clip for my Kahr Arms made ‘C’ drum? I’ve contacted Kahr Arms and they don’t have them and apparently these drums made for them by another company who they wouldn’t name and according to them that company doesn’t supply parts. I bought the drum that was supposedly new in the box from a dealer on Gun Broker and had it shipped to my new house in Arizona while in the midst of moving all my stuff to AZ last year and only recently got around to opening the box and found out that the retention clip was gone. Thank you for any help you can provide.

• 2 months later...

Now that Tracie & Donnas Show and Shoot is past, I thought I would bring this topic back to the top.

For those of you that purchased my book on Amazon, I would appreciate you posting a review for me.

If you still want a signed copy of my book, please send me an Email at roger.herbst@att.net, and I will provide you with payment information.

Thanks to all who have purchased the book! Dont hesitate to provide me with any additional or updated information.

Roger

Bob,

Not a secret. Most of the WWII production numbers came from the National Archives. Frank Iannamico did a lot of research there, and I have copies from a number of different sources listing contracts and production information.

Though there are some British numbers on this side of the pond in our archives, most of that information came from research James West did in the archives of the Imperial War Museum in Britain. I also found some information during my two visits to the archives at the National Firearms Centre in Leeds, England. I still hope to also visit the IWM archives in the future to see what else I can find.

Most of the information about the Colt-era magazines came from records kept by the Thompson, Eickhoff, Payne, and Goll families that now reside here in Ohio.

Hope that helps.

Roger

Thanks Roger!

Got the book I ordered from you in perfect shape.....opened it up and couldn't put it down!

Realized that although I have a big pile of drums and a couple hundred mags, I knew very little about any of them!

Now I have to get out all my drums and see exactly what I have (and I see a couple rare ones in the mix!).....and ine new in the box.

And mags too. I know I have a flawless MSCO marked mag, but I also need to open a 15 mag wrapped package of xx mags I bought from omega at SAR 2008.

Time to see what I have, and Im smiling!

i offered all of that for sale here back when, In those sealed packs from England

there was a number of blank and Patent date mags mixed in. not all A.O. or Crosby. Since i had opened many of those up out of the crate. You might get lucky and find a few. RON K.