1928a1 vs M1a1- Which Gun do you Shoot Better? ROF Question

Hello All:

I havent shot enough rounds for scoring purposes but as one who owns both a 1928a1 and a M1a1, I find the 28 with its weight and rate

of fire is more controlleable than a m1a1. My Pact Timer is not back from being repaired but I plan to shoot both guns and report back

here what the rates of fire are. Even though I havent scored my targets ; the ones that i shot with my 28 are definitely better.

I also dont use the peep sight but use the little notch on the top of the sight. I would like to hear from all of you who have shot both

the top cockers and side cockers what your take on this is. Thanks

Edited by Grease Gunner

Maybe not a valid comparison but I find my Savage M1 much easier to shoot than was my WH 28. I actually prefer the winged peep on the M1 to the Lyman that was on the WH. I'm not convinced that the Cutts on the WH really did anything significant in controlling muzzle rise. Again YMMV

Ive had a 28 WH, a 28A1 WWII Savage, and now have an Auto Ordnance M1A1 in transfer. Personally I shoot them all the same but I prefer the M1/M1A1 mechanics over the 1921s and 19128s. Its all personal preference, but Id vote M1 variant

I shoot like I'm shooting a recurve bow using the "instinctive" shooting method, sighting down the barrel with both eyes open. I had a couple Iraq war vets out to shoot the Thompson and they couldn't hit a barn if they were inside it. I watched them and it dawned on me they were shooting it like it was an M16 or M4. Both of these guys were avid bow hunters so I showed them how to aim like shooting a bow. They instantly adapted and were on target. Good Warriors!

The Best Grouping I ever did was with a 1928a1 where i Looked over the rear sight and Only used the Front Sight,'

I feel that the 28 has a slightly lower rate of fire and slightly more controlleable.

If you just pull singles , it becomes intuitive because its telling you where to point the front sight,

That being learned, apply it and you will get good results!!

The plain L rear sights installed on late 1828A1s work well for shooting. They may not have the classic Lyman adjustable sight look to them but from a shooting standpoint they are a better sight.

Bridgeport28a1: I differ in that the 28a1 sight lets you pick up the front sight thru the actuator, This is probably good at to 25-35 yards.

My m1a1 clocked at 770-800 rpm and my 28a1 clocked at 892-910

thought the 28s were slower

I prefer firing the 1928 Navy over a Savage M1A1, and I attribute that to (1) Colt tolerances and (2) the Cutts compensator. Others here are anti-compensator, for some reason... because it needs to be cleaned, I heard recently as one reason.

I bought a shooter grade 1928a1 to fill out my Thompson collection and also so as not to shoot the "collector grade" stuff.
They pretty much all shoot the same to me.
My go to gun will be that 1928a1 which I can shoot and handle guilt free.

IMO a WW2 M1 or M1A1 gives the best bang for the buck unless you can steal a older Colt or 1928a1.

Rate of Fire Question:

I have seen in some books of a 600 RPM rate on the 1928s

I have seen numbers like 800 and 900 for the M1s

My rpm pact chrono never reads below 800 and sometimes as high as 900

Maybe its a spring issue. Anyone shed light on how i can get down to 600 or 700

with either a M1/M1a1 or 28a1??

Thanks