1921 Thompson Stock From Gpc

I just ordered an 1921 stock from the gun parts corporation for $9.45 (shipping included) what kind of condition does everyone think that it will be in when I recieve it? Also, who has a good inexpensive, rusty and pitted is ok (with in reason of course) butt plate for sale?

mp40,

I received 2 one had a small dent that raised with a wet towel and steam iron. It finished up fantastic! Brownells military stain and "lots" of oil and hand finishing.

The 2nd. well it looked like it went through the war and lost. I'm going to attempt to restore it but it's going to be a miracle.

Don't bother with GP for butt plate screws as they only have the style that was used on the M1A1 and AO Semis.

A good idea would be Damon at TommyGunner.com for a milled steel slide.

That's great! I hope that the one that I recieve will be in good condition. I hope to stain it to resemble a Colt stock. Also, what's the best way to fill in the sling swivel "slot?" As I wish to make a true 1921 style stock.

http://home.ptd.net/~wolfen/photos/stocks.jpg

Top stock is refinished, (about 10 hours of work) and bottom is the 2nd stock. It is difficult to see but there is a piece of wood missing from the front top edge of the unfinished stock.

Also unlike the original 21 stock these have milled areas for a swivel.

Wow the refinished stock looks great! Nice job! It certainly has nice grain! I sure like the look of the non-crossbolted stocks better as the crossbolt looks somehow out of place to me..Kind of like an after thought!

Thanks for the comments on my finish work!

Question for those in the know.

When AO placed the cross bolt in the stock to prevent splitting, was the damage caused by firing the weapon, or from general usage, i.e.; rough handling, hand to hand combat?

I've got an extra 1928 butt plate or two around. Been selling them on ebay for $25 to $28 bucks. I'd have to dig through my stuff to see if I had screws though.

Take a piece of walnut and make a flattened oval to fill up the sling swivel slot. If you want a butt plate, I'll whip out a plug for your stock and include it no extra charge.

Dan

Hi Dan sure, I will take one of the butt plates that you have! Just let me know the details. Thanks!

Grey Crow, I think that the crossbolt was added due to the extreme forces that the stock was subjected to when the stock was utilised to break the soldiers fall (as per training) as the soldier hit the ground on his knees, the butt stock was then planted first to help break his fall. Then the proper firing position was then taken up. At least this is what I observed from the ww2 training flims anyway. (they where using M1 Garands though)

All I can say is, the Cross Bolt does help quite a bit. I have owned many of the Non-Cross Bolt Stocks, and I would estimate that 50% developed Splits in the front. I do prefer the look of the Non Bolt Version, but the later is stronger.

QUOTE (mp40 @ Sep 5 2004, 11:22 PM)
Also, what's the best way to fill in the sling swivel "slot?" As I wish to make a true 1921 style stock.

Here's linky to an old post about filling my sling swivel...

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invb...=3&t=95&hl=wood

FWIW...

After seeing Jack's pictures, I had to order a couple myself. I need more stocks like a hole in the foot. Those prices sure are cheap. They must have found a truckload of them.

I guess the best thing would be to use a 28 cross bolt for shooting, and the 21 style for display.

Because the availability of an original 21 stock is so low it might be more affordable and advisable to have Dan make the correct stock without the opening for the swivel.

The slide release that came with my 28 stock from GP is a alloy material, and not near the quality of Damon's.

At any point did they use steel stock slides?

With the combined talents of various members from this board a cherry display/shooter can be accomplished.

snipershot1944,

In most cases, yes. I have had several WWII era stock slides from various manufacturers and they all were compatible with a Colt made gun. Some members have indicated that they had to have the slides remachined to fit a Colt gun, but I have not experienced that problem. Some fit looser than others based on the differences in tolerances from the various WWII contractors.

Grey Crow,

Mp40 (Hi, Mark!) Has it right concerning the causes for breakage during original military usage; there is really no need to keep a cross bolt stock for shooting. You'll never subject your stock to the kind of stresses that will break it during normal usage. The .45 just does not generate that kind of impulse on firing. My '28A1 stock (no cross-bolt) has been "taking it" since 1941 with no appearent damage. Now, if you want to carry it behind your reserve 'chute and jump into Normandy at night, or break your fall when when hitting the deck after a heavy artillery barrage begins, that's another story. . .

I just got two '21 non crossbolt stocks from GPC in the mail yesterday. Both are beautiful without a single dent or scratch anywhere. The grain looks great on both. Guess I got lucky! Can't complain for $3.50 http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Dan, did you get my E-mail that I sent you yesterday? I am still interested in the butt plate... Motorcar,that's cool that you received two v-nice stocks from them. I hope that the one that I ordered will be nice too!

QUOTE (AZDoug @ Sep 8 2004, 07:51 PM)

I have a spare Colt stock hanger (serial numbered), stripped (no spring or catch), if anyone wants to make a decent offer.

Doug,

The Colt gun stock slides weren't serial numbered. Only the early Savage and WWII production guns had matching numbers on the stock slide, butt stock and butt plates. The Colt guns only had the butt stock and butt plate numbered to match.

For those receiving these old stocks you may consider visiting the FAQ section on refinishing.

After cleaning the wood, raising any dents and raising the grain, handle the wood VERY gently as it will mark easily. In time the wood will harden again.

I work with the stocks on a folded towel, seems to give good cushion.