1928A1 on GB looking for comments

If you do a search, you should be able to find info on this board. Dolphin Vet used to be on here quite a bit and I am sure this gun was talked about when he got it and what work was done. May have been 2-3 years ago (maybe more).

To me the photos are a little too dark to make any judgement on finish, but thats just me. Id want to see better lighted photos.

Ron

Vinny, did you read the seller's Gunbroker description? "This gun is a re-weld, but has been done so very meticulously." If you are looking for a re-weld this may be the Thompson for you.

Dolphinvet talks about a that is re-weld in this thread, might be the same Thompson?

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19586&hl=

I'm curious how a re-weld 1928A1 Dewat is a Curio and Relic? Has it been slipping through the registry as original manufacture or re-welded over 50 years ago? Can one take a registered Thompson Dewat presumably cut in half and weld it together and keep the Dewat registration status?

Edited by Bridgeport28A1

Vinny, did you read the seller's Gunbroker description? "This gun is a re-weld, but has been done so very meticulously." If you are looking for a re-weld this may be the Thompson for you.

Dolphinvet talks about a that is re-weld in this thread, might be the same Thompson?

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19586&hl=

I'm curious how a re-weld 1928A1 Dewat is a Curio and Relic? Has it been slipping through the registry as original manufacture or re-welded over 50 years ago? Can one take a registered Thompson Dewat presumably cut in half and weld it together and keep the Dewat registration status?

Hmmm i looked up the thread ty for that info the gun sounds like Ill pass on it!!

Prior to the May 19, ‘86 ban on new MGs, with some exceptions by stupid people, ATF destruction requirement for an unregistered, live MG was a single saw cut through the center of the receiver or thereabouts. Once that was done the gun was considered a non-gun and was not longer controlled by ATF. Welding the receiver and registering it constitues new manufacture, and it cannot be C+R eligible until 50 years after that date.

Short of an FOIA request on the serial number of the 1928a1, the next best source of info is the registration document. Who is listed as the manufacturer? Here’s where the trouble begins. If the manufacturer listed is AO, Savage, Thompson or any term that suggests factory manufacture, and the gun has a welded receiver, then it is remanufactured and possibly the person who did it mistakenly listed the original factory ID as manufacturer instead of himself. This isn’t unheard of! However, it is not C+R eleigible. Maybe the seller doesn’t understand how C+R works.

An FOIA request will reveal if the date of registration is before or after the end of the Amnesty, but can only be done by the current registrant. Sometimes ATF will reveal to a caller the date of registration but that is now rare. As a remanufacturered MG, the gun will not be eligible for C+R transfer until after 50 years from that date.

The fact that it has a welded receiver means, in my opinion, that it is a remanufactured gun.

So, ask the seller, assuming that he is the registrant, who is listed on his form or have him get that info.

Prior to the May 19, ‘86 ban on new MGs, with some exceptions by stupid people, ATF destruction requirement for an unregistered, live MG was a single saw cut through the center of the receiver or thereabouts. Once that was done the gun was considered a non-gun and was not longer controlled by ATF. Welding the receiver and registering it constitues new manufacture, and it cannot be C+R eligible until 50 years after that date.

Short of an FOIA request on the serial number of the 1928a1, the next best source of info is the registration document. Who is listed as the manufacturer? Here’s where the trouble begins. If the manufacturer listed is AO, Savage, Thompson or any term that suggests factory manufacture, and the gun has a welded receiver, then it is remanufactured and possibly the person who did it mistakenly listed the original factory ID as manufacturer instead of himself. This isn’t unheard of! However, it is not C+R eleigible. Maybe the seller doesn’t understand how C+R works.

An FOIA request will reveal if the date of registration is before or after the end of the Amnesty, but can only be done by the current registrant. Sometimes ATF will reveal to a caller the date of registration but that is now rare. As a remanufacturered MG, the gun will not be eligible for C+R transfer until after 50 years from that date.

The fact that it has a welded receiver means, in my opinion, that it is a remanufactured gun.

So, ask the seller, assuming that he is the registrant, who is listed on his form or have him get that info.

Bob thank you for the explanation, much appreciated.