Tsmg Alloy Frames?

Good Evening,

I'm new to the Forum here, but I'm happy to be here now. I already find the information here extremely valuable.

I have a question re: alloy after market frames.

Does anynoe have any opinions/experience with alloy frames on TSMGs ie any problems, suggestions, warnings, setup issues...?

Any information would be grreatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Johnny

Warning - I have no hard/fast facts, just pure speculation and what I've read/heard, - and seen with my own alloy-receivered .22LR 1927A3 semi...

They don't "blue" as nice as the steel, my 1927A3 didn't look near as nice as my steel 1927A1.

The stories of STEEL WH1928 full-autos developing cracks at that backs of the steel receivers would make me want to stay well away from an alloy receiver.

As to a grip-frame in alloy...

I still wouldn't be too sure about one.

Yes, they do .223 in alloy all the time - the AR15 being the number 1 example. But they have gas systems of one form or fashion to help reduce the stress of recoil on the frame or reciever, whereas our TSMGs rely on blowback, and I'm thinking that all things being equal, our TSMG .45s are probably more stressful on their components than the .223 in alloy. Its doubtful that either of us would live long enough to shoot our TSMGs enough for a steel reciever to damage an alloy frame, but... aluminum is softer than steel, so...

But again, just sharing an opinion.

nfafan,

Thank you so much for the reply. Your concerns are are noted. I also had my doubts re: alloy frames on TSMG's, but I thought I'd ask for some experienced advice. The reason I ask is I have been looking for a TSMG "shooter", and I located a W.H. 1928 A1 MFG date 1980. The owner has 2 lowers for the gun, one alloy and one steel. The gun is presently setup with the alloy frame. The owner seems to be pushing the alloy setup for the benefit of "less carry weight", but I would prefer the steel set up.

Anyway, your assistance is appreciated.

Stay Safe,

Johnny

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif Go with a steel frame. Weight is not a facter when just taking it to the gun range. The last time I took my WH M1 to the range, I friend of mine had a WW2 1928 there also. I told him about a John Wayne movie I saw as a kid where he was charging the Japs with 2 tommy guns ablazing away. My friend look at me & said why don't you try it. I cradled each FA in each arm & let her rip! What a expierence having 60 rds. going down range on full auto! If this 51 year old can do this, you have no need of a alloy frame to save weight (I don't remember the name of the movie tho). http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

must,

Thank you for your input. I appreciate your experience and knowledge.

Instinctively I knew the alloy frame was not a good idea, but I wanted some

feedback. This forum is a great resource.

That two gun day at the range must have been great.

Thanks Again,

Johnny

A member of the forum gave me an alloy frame. My intention Is to fit it to a gun and see what it will do over time. I hope to report back in the future.

PK,

Thank you for your reply. That project sounds perfect for testing alloy frames on TSMGs. We'd all benefit from your experience in this matter. Please keep us informed of your findings and opinions on this subject. Glad to hear you're involved.

Stay Safe,

Johnny

Johnny,

I have an alloy lower that I have used on and off for the last 3 years on my WH28. It has worked fine. The only complaint I have with it is the finish. It was done in a gloss black anodizing that matches nothing and is soft (the mag slot showed wear quickly). I plan on getting it hard coated the next time I send out work.

My .02.

Pat

0-1-25

I saw a WH lightwieght (aluminum alloy frame gun) model at last Rutlage, (big swap meet in MO.) everything in the lower was loose when I picked it up, most of the finish had worn off the lower, the recever was about 75% and there were not too many dings or dents in the recever but the lower was trash. My .02 is avoid the alloy frames.

BB

PS. it was a semi, not a F/A