4 Sale New Gi Breech Oilers

Gee, I wonder what they'll sell for on eBay? Haven't seen one in captivity in a while. Weren't they going for close to $50 at one time?

I bought three, one for each gun. I used to only be able to find used ones that varied in condition from awful to not-to-bad conditions.

Sportman Guide has great deals once in a while. i know when they had 1919 BMG barrels, new for $39 each or something, it knocked the wind out of the usual sellers asking $100 for the same thing.

The Steiner Bighorn 15X56 Binocs SG is selling for $419 (buyers Club) is a pretty good deal too. i get a set and they are steller for clarity. probably not as good as $1200 Swarovski's, but the best I have used. Dealer prices on these is about $440, and internet retail prices were $700 plus.

Doug

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif My "U.S. G.I." "New - never issued" breech oiler arrived today. Oiler was wrapped in celophane with a staple holding it shut. A small sticker on the outside of the wrapping said "made in India". The metal part looked GI but was bent inward near the rear on both sides. The felt pad was an off white and not shaped exactly like the oiler in my Thompson. I put the new oiler in my gun and couldn't reinsert the bolt due to the inward bend of the oiler on both sides near the rear. I suppose I could put the oiler on an anvil and flatten the sides and see if it might work but I am so dissapointed I have decided to just send it back. My guess (and this is only a guess) is the metal part was salvaged from a Thompson and they bent the sides in when they pulled it from a gun. The felt looks like a replacement part. So my guess is the made in India label gets it around the Clinton executive order banning the reparation of U.S. Govt gun parts. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif The ad in sportsmansguide said the oiler was "U.S. Gov't issue" and "new, never issued". My apologies to those who relied upon my post to order an oiler. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/unsure.gif I suggest you examine your part when it arrives and then try it in your Thompson and make your own judgment.

Just opened up mine. Fits, but the bolt is very tight, like Hawk says. They have more curve in the metal approching the felt pads. Can't see where the felt would have bene replaced, and I don't see any wear on them. They appear to be original to the untrained eye. Still, they have a different shape, and I could not even get my gun parts back in. Had to take it out. May do some more testing later, but not happy. Perhaps they all came this way and had to be fitted later?

India seems to be a source for junk gun parts. Several months ago I ordered a shoulder stock and leather hanger for a broomhandle. The stock which was shipped was made of some type of real soft wood, like a packing crate might be made of - the leather was thin pigskin, smelled and was very thin. The metal fitting would not fit anyone of the guns I own, and could not be made to fit.

Sent it back and got a refund.

I should have known better, but ordered from the same company a metal hand guard for a Winchester 97 riot gun. What came, not unlike the broomhandle stock was marked "made in India" It was also junk.

It was apparent the maker had never seen a handguard for a 97. It was not like anything that I had ever seen... Also sent back for a refund..

We may see more of this junk in the future - a good thing this web site exists, as I was going to order several oilers.

Might apprise SG of the problem and see if they can get what they are supposbly selling. As I mentioned in another thread, how can surplus orignal be back ordered, it must be reproduction-

Hawk, this ain't your fault- the ad said what it said. Perhaps there is a fix here and I think it will involve an anvil for sure hahahaha- I doubt I will see mine anyway.

Several months ago, I bought some XX mags that were described as very good to excellent -- fully functional. They turned out to be non-functional junk, and I got a big run-around. I asked that they send me mags that matched their, ad, and they said that would require a $25 "hand selection fee." Got their catalogue in the mail today, and the same ad is still running.

Gunner,

My SG shipment just got here with 3 XX mags, they are in rough shape though I think I can rehabilitate them, should have been under $10 though, not $15. THese are what we would think of as functional beater mags as shipped. Hand pcik is supposed to be either $5-10 (can't remember) for 10 mags. The full auto parts they have came in real good shape, needed them for my parts box.

I have a pair of NOS breech oilers that I bought a couple years back. They are definitely USGI originals. They drop right in with no fitting.

It sounds like these are either remanufactured or new. In either case, they are not to spec.

Looks like SG will have some more to sell/resell in the near future.....

Roger

Some other things I noticed when I compared the SG oiler with an original GI oiler is the GI pad is about 1/8 inch thicker (which allows more of the pad to come into contact with the bolt and the blish lock) than the SG oiler and the GI metal seems to have a lot more "spring" in it and therefore holds tighter against the inside of the receiver than does the SG oiler. You can reshape the metal on the SG oiler to make it fit the inside of the receiver and then the bolt will fit into the receiver. I am of the opinion the SG oilers are not "U.S. Government issue' as advertised. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif

I found oilers for $20 with Sarco. I think I will cancel my SG bck order and go that route. What do you guys think of the Ohio Ordnance part kit prices contrasted with the IMA individual parts prices. I ask because I do not know my Thompson individual parts yet as I have not received mine yet. I have a WH coing in the box but with all the WH flaws no doubt SN3 14XXA and want to assemble the parts to make it run and some to replace them.

Mark

Mine is ser#27xxA and it came with a Savage bolt,blish lock,recoil spring guide,firing pin,hammer,etc.It did have the cast actuator and I replaced it all...and it never worked,ever...PK fixed all that..so I would see if the gun works first of all and then buy spares,my .02, http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Wow Smoker, yours was a 1986 gun and it still had the savage parts- Reckon there is some small comfort in that but then it still didn't run???? Oh my goodness- What the heck was wrong? As in what sort of pixie dust did PK have to sprinkle on it? Are the receivers just junk or what?

QUOTE (OldFalGuy @ Jul 31 2004, 01:11 AM)
I found oilers for $20 with Sarco. I think I will cancel my SG bck order and go that route.

The Sarco ad in Shotgun News has oilers at $34.95. They're advertised as repro's. Has anyone seen them? Are they any better than the SG oilers?

OK, I compaered the SG oilers to two originals.

Metal thickness is the same. Metal dims are real close except the SG iten has the buffer pilot hole different diameter, and slightly repostioned.

felt is smaller on SG item.

SG item steel is painted, not blued.

Crimp marks for felt are machine made on original, SG looks partially hand crimped.

Felt is too far back on some of the SG items, riding over the external rear felt tab. This can cause binding problems, but is easily trimmed. Bend dimensions were identical on the two.

Conclusion, SG item is repro. Possibly old repro, for TSMGs in Indian military service, but it is not made on the same tooling the two originals I used for comparison were. It should work fine if the felt is trimmed.

Question is: Are the Sarco repops any better or different, or were they made in teh same place?

Doug

Chopper and TSMGguy: I also sent mine back. The metal did not have the "spring" tension of the original oiler I compared it to and I didn't want to chance anything "going wrong" when the bolt was slamming back and forth in full auto fire. Also, it didn't seem to me that much of the SG oiler was in contact with the bolt and blish lock as was the original I compared it with. Why take a chance on damaging an irreplacable Thompson?

Going to dump both of mine also, went ahead and got a parts kit that had one in it. Since it is a wear item I would like to find another someday, perhaps at the next SAR or KCR.