Wolf Ammo

I'm seeing Wolf .45 acp advertised @ $6.97 a box -- pretty cheap. Has anybody had any problems with this Russian ammo. They're steel cased and use a lacquer finish as lubrication. People have warned me away from it for my AR15, so I'm wondering if it would gum up a Thompson?

Personally, I have tried it and I don't care for it. The gun just seems to run smoother with brass cased ammo. The steel casing can't be good for your reciever. Why risk a 10-12k gun just to save a few bucks on ammo. Shoot it in SKS's and AK's that are designed for it, not rare and expensive TSMG's. Just my .02

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/unsure.gif I was told by several gunsmiths that steel cased ammo is hard on your extractors too. I like to shoot Armscor or S&B ammo in my Thompson (both are brass cases & are about $8.50 a box. Sometimes you can get it cheaper. Cheaper than Dirt had a sale awhile back for $8.07 a box for S&B ammo on the internet. Better safe than sorry. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I have shot Wolf in my 28 and Kimber handguns. Its dirty, and after around 50 -60 rounds I have feeding problems in my custom shop Kimber. I dont use it anymore for that reason.

I've shot about 5000 rounds of Wolf through my 1928 with no ill effects. I have another 5000 ready to run when I take the gun out. I wouldn't advise shooting it in a closed bolt gun. Hot chamber and laquered cases don't mix.

I also have used Wolf ammo in my 1928 WH gun with no ill effects. It seemed to run very well on it when brass cased stuff was a bit troublesome. So far I've run 2k through my gun with no problems. It is a bit hotter than other .45 stuff out there but it works and its accurate too.

If the laquered case is of concern, spray the chamber with a little wd40 before shooting. As was noted in a previous post, US military stuff was steel cased also and it worked fine. The newer stuff is better as its non corrosive and fresher.

I have used Wolf Ammunition thousands of times in my "Best-in-the-World", all original and unaltered MI TSMG. The gun has eaten thousands of Sellier & Belot as well. The only difference I have observed is that the Russian cartridges are dirtier........ But in these latest years of manufacture they definitely shoot much cleaner. This weapon is a treasured C&R and I would not do anything to abuse it, always letting others pioneer my concerns first before finally trying things myself. Just another view from still another gunner and collector. Good shooting to you!