Blank adapting a post sample 28A1 for that "movie flash"

Hello!

I work for an organization that does a lot of WW2 Armor displays and battle reenactments. We have a Model 1928A1 Thompson in our vault that my boss wants to be his personal weapon when he's commanding one of his tanks. Before I got here, it seems the common way that this organization has blank adapted their Thompsons and Grease Guns is drilling and tapping the barrel for a blank aperture. On this one, I would like to adapt it in a way that would give us that "Dick Tracy movie" flash from our blanks.

Any suggestions on how best to do this? Thanks gents!

Flash from the Cutts Compensstor?

If so you obviously need to block after the slots which could then make such a modification visible. If its a not messed with gun, it could be worth having a special blank barrel made rather than damage its value.

Hello!

I work for an organization that does a lot of WW2 Armor displays and battle reenactments. We have a Model 1928A1 Thompson in our vault that my boss wants to be his personal weapon when he's commanding one of his tanks. Before I got here, it seems the common way that this organization has blank adapted their Thompsons and Grease Guns is drilling and tapping the barrel for a blank aperture. On this one, I would like to adapt it in a way that would give us that "Dick Tracy movie" flash from our blanks.

Any suggestions on how best to do this? Thanks gents!

The flash come from the powder mix used, not the restrictor. Check online for some of the places that make blanks or call them and ask about the mixture of flash powder for that effect.

Hi All,

FWIW, much of the flash is put into modern video by the Special FX group in the editing room (all electronic these days). I've seen student movies with cardboard guns with great muzzle flash! Might be an easy way to get a '28 looking good.

Enjoy,

Grasshopper

Dick Tracy may have been Stembridge or Ellis Mercantile.

Both out of business now.

But, equivalent Full Flash .45 acp movie blanks are available from ISS props, or Joe Swanson blanks - (both have websites.)

I have several ammo cans full, they are great in a 1911, but, too much blank for my subs.

The DT Thomspon's will have been adapted like most other weapons with a BFA restrictor threaded into the end of the barrel, the flash just finds the holes in the various muzzle devices. Same as it does with the bird-cage flash eliminator on an M16, or the three hole brake on a PPSh41, I don't know what physics are behind it but it goes in the direction it's guided by the militarybmuzzle device after leaving the regular movie "hex" shaped restrictor they all have in the barrel.

The Ak47 with the iconic slant brake are annoying as the flash goes upwards at 45 degrees, and never looks quite right.

I just put a Howell Arms "Blank Only" barrel (they have a website) on my M1 and it is awesome, comes with two separate restrictors.

I use Atlantic Wall Blanks now, as personally I do not like the damage the bigger loads/mixes inflict on the old guns.

And Atlantic Wall are more reasonably priced, IMO.

Good luck with your 1928!

Thank you for the responses so far gentlemen!

We do use Joe Swanson for our blanks. I was hoping to avoid tapping the barrel for this one, but sounds like that may be the way to go.

Just to ease minds, this one is as I said, a post sample. It's not a reweld, but it does look like the barrel has been replaced at some point anyway.

the difference is in how the barrel is blocked to just let the gas out. Ive got two philly ordnance and 1 Howell they both work the same. they are 10.5 inch barrels completely legal for us to use if you don't want to get an sbr. most people that buy them are reenactors.. and theres several people I know with live fire fa thompsons that don't want to destroy their good barrel by drilling and tapping the end. the compensator has to be opened up also to get the set screw to the barrel all this can be purchased as one unit with the bfa included. you can get smooth or finned barrels.

A lack of specificity on my part. By "the barrels", I meant Phil. Ord's blank barrel vs. Howell's blank barrel. Not live vs. blank. I've seen the Phila. Ord. version. It has 3 small diameter holes bored symmetrically down the barrel. I think Bob uses micro-lightsabers. It's impressive. How does his differ (or does it?) from the Howell version?

A lack of specificity on my part. By "the barrels", I meant Phil. Ord's blank barrel vs. Howell's blank barrel. Not live vs. blank. I've seen the Phila. Ord. version. It has 3 small diameter holes bored symmetrically down the barrel. I think Bob uses micro-lightsabers. It's impressive. How does his differ (or does it?) from the Howell version?

My Howell blank only barrel has three little holes running down the middle, too.

Here are some studio blanks - just for fun.

(I had to pull some .45's for another gig. Ended up going through a lot of crates to find ten boxes at short notice.)

The ISS on top, are current style.

The Ellis Mercantile below, could well be from when they filmed Dick Tracy, lol.

X8nkFRcl.jpg