Bren Mk 1 AA tripod problem

I picked up a Mk1 drum mag and thought Id put the Bren on the Mk1 tripod with the mag. The leg that attaches to the tripod comes right out but I cant get the other to budge. Ive soaked it with penetrating oil and also put a punch in the hole in the tripod on the rear of the release button. The release button seems to work fine and pull out as far as it should go.

Ideas?

PS: Thanks for the info on the second bent on the 7.62x39 op rod. I have it cut but havent tried it.

Also, I just posted another question about loading the .303 100 round drum.

either the release button is not out far enough, or the tube has a dent in it? If it doesn't wiggle at all even with the button in, you have a problem somewhere? If it's in the left tube, did someone rivet an AA grip mount through both tubes?

The plunger in the wing nut has to be out at least halfway before the leg will release, even though it will reach all the way to the wing nut for travel. Putting a punch through the hole (and the hole is relatively small on the other side, not the 1/4" or so that it starts out as) will just hold the leg in place since you are going through the leg, but if it's long enough will push out the release button to test that theory. HTH

Edited by johnsonlmg41

After a few days of soaking with rust remover and a slight warming with a propane torch, I finally got the piece to rotate in the outer tube. After a few minutes of rotating, I could tap it out. Seems that it was just a small amount of rust. Some steel wool and more rust remover and it works fine. It was the lower leg section, which was good as there is the protruding food to help rotate and tap out, and it was in the left tube. Thanks for your help. The tripod hadn’t been used for about 35 years. I bought one of each back in the mid-1980’s for about $125-150 each. Ken