Richardson Receivers

I was called by Doug Richardson telling me that my 1928 receiver was ready to ship. I had forgotten about it in the five years since I ordered it (not knocking him).

I'm kinda wondering if I want it as he has raised the price from $385 to $585 (plus extras). Is his engraving true to the stamping that was done or does it look like, well, engraving? Am I better off with a Philadelphia Ordnance receiver considering the cost difference verses the accuracy of the markings? I'd like to put my British Thompson parts kit on a receiver (I have to bead blast, phosphate, and black paint it to match the rest of the parts) for a cool wall hanger but the increase in price has his receiver costing over $800 and I'm wondering will it still look like a repro with engraved rather than an original with stamped markings.

Can any one post a picture of his markings?

Skoda,

You can find pics of the Phila Ord engraving (click on "green" engraving) on Bob's website:

http://www.philaord.com/Thompsons.html

The finish provided by both Doug R and Phila Ord is black oxide. Unless the Brits actually painted the steel, black oxide was the way they were shipped to Britian.

The original receivers were roll stamped. No one including Doug R does that. I have never seen a Doug R reciever in person but IMO the engraving was done with a pantograph engraver (or CNC with a similar tool) and the engraving at least to my eye looks a little more like the roll stamping. Roll stamping moves the metal; engraving removes the metal. I've done my own engraving with a pantograph and IMO it's the closest you will get to roll stamping. All current production are engraved. If you are going to fill the engraving with white paint you won't be able to tell the difference. As you probably have noticed Doug R is probably a little more accurate in font & spacing. It's your decision. As you are aware the price diffence is significant. Both sell top quality products. I have Philly Ord 1928A1, 1921, & M1 recievers machined into semi's and have been very pleased with them.

Joe

Edited by Joe H