Machine Rifle Ammunition Chest M1

If nobody steps up I may have time to dig one out (in storage) over the weekend and get you info? Is the felt gone too? There was a great set of pictures posted somewhere where I learned how to put the mags in correctly, I just don't recall which site? Could have been here, gunboards, or 1919a4. Do a search and the info is likely still there. HTH

HTH,

Thanks for the offer.

Not sure about the felt.

You possibly learned the correct way to install mags on US Militaria.com

Jim C

PS will try to post pic.

Yep, maybe it was usmilitaria, I do look at that now and again.

The felt on the top is as thick as the bottom in the auction photo. Or maybe it tore off and what's laying in the bottom is off the top? Other than that I think that will clean up nicely. The dividers are easy to make and I the felt is similar to an oriental rug pad I have out in the shop, so with limited effort it should be good as new!

I'm still on the hunt for an original 1918 wood box. These days you have to wait for an estate sale for stuff like that and then hope you can get it separated from a gun, or you will end up with a 40K wood box and a gun you didn't need.

• 1 month later...

I received a response from Robin at the US Militaria website pertaining to the Phillips pack

saddle and leather BAR case. Here it is.

Jim C.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Moderators

Member ID: 61

4,973 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:57 PM

Phillips pack saddles were used in Burma and Italy. The leather case for the BAR was meant for anti aircraft use in pack artillery units. I have not seen any photos of it in use. And I'm am anti aircraft roll a bipod would be useless.

The ammo chest was designed to go on the pack saddle hanger do it had to be no earlier than 1924 when the Phillips was adopted.

The BAR leather case was only used on the pack saddle. Not for sniper rifles or match rifles as some entrepreneurs suggest