Model 1921 For Sale

I doubt it is a crack.

But maybe early Deerslayer wood?

And definitely looks like a PK 21 kit in it - or some other manufacturer.

Lower internals are suspect. I can't tell,

Buttstock hardware all blued - 1928?

Here is where you want TD's book handy....

-Reblued

-Non original wood

-Matching numbers

All that said - it sure looks nice!!

Frank,

You need to look again. There is a lot of history regarding NO 6422 in Gordon's 6th edition.

These pictures display the perfect shooter grade Colt; re-blue and incomplete. I believe NO 6422 had a very hard life during its early years. What few original parts remain have been re-blued. Note the cut-down GI actuator. I could have added another chapter to my book with pictures of this Colt!

I hope he is this ignorant, and not trying to mislead: It is of interest to note that the anchor marking is no longer present on the stock.

That which was never there can not be "no longer present".

Does the barrel look original? I am trying to learn how to ID an original Colt barrel.

TD.

My bad looked up in volume 2 instead of volume 1. It does have some interesting history involving the courts. The gun was rebarreled by the person in Middle TN that restored. For me it would have to go pretty cheap for me to be a player.

Frank

Edited by Gio

I bet it even looks more crappy in person.

I have said this a hundred times, This is what the Thompson folks have gone to refinished crap, Not even a restoration like Turnbull cond. and dented drums and rusted or pitted magazines with guns and whatever crap they can turn up. The days of primo have passed on.

98% 99% stuff is buried forever. And i do remember a few telling me well over ten years ago.What you don't have any 95% guns and cased set to sell anymore. for $15,000 what is up with that.I feel for the new guy upstart to buy his First Thompson.Having to spend now his hard earned money of $30 grand to start, For some well worn wrong part gun. Or some rehashed shooter.

Or yet a Wes Hurley

a 1950's Thompson. with no lick of History to it at all. But a low cost replica.Of a long by gone era to make a few bucks and keep the dream alive.

Shipped out in a flimsy card board box with a used mag for $550 bucks.that cocked open like a western whores legs,{Not Smooth} And parts so sharp you could slice the hand open.and some cast parts.And slots cut that a real drum would not fit just right.

So hang on to that Minty Colt have it in the will to get buried with you. Or for yourself to be cremated and loaded in a hundred 45acp's and fired thru it in a C drum to go out in a Bang.

We have seen the last good old days of these pieces of Steel and Wood firearm Art.

RON K.

>Chuck Did have the last nice Piece of history sold here.We can thank him for that.

I think that there will be some more good Colts for sale. The price of very good Colts being so high some of us old guys will turn loose for a good return on investment.

Frank

Got a question for the experts.

Lets say I bought an original colt back in the day. I scratched the gun and sent it back off to the factory to be repaired/refinished. Would this now be consider a non-original finish and reblued? Better yet, what if I had the same factory worker repair/refinish the gun at his house off hours? Same worker, same factory refinish, would it not be? Or sent it back to original manufacture but different worker?

See where I am going with this. When does it become a crappy gun? Is it time, the worker who originally did the work, the manufacturer? The way I see it , Any colt sent back to the factory for repair or work wouldnt be considered original, even if it was done in the 20s or 30s.

Heres one. What if I happen to convince Colt today to refinish my 21 thompson? Would it not come back with factory colt wood and finish? Or would someone argue that is not the same Colt manufacturing company? I believe they would disagree .

I know if I had a Colt Thompson, I wouldnt want it to look like this;

D15D7552-0FBC-46CD-94A5-FE667EECA3AB.jpeg

Edited by halftrack

Simple answer, and obvious: the original finish can only be done once. Think "virginity". There is no replacement that is not a "refinish". The value of a refinish is in the eye of the beholder, but an original finish is a one time proposition, and once gone, can never be replaced. FWIW

Exactly my point! So if a Colt was sent back to the factory for repair or work done to it, it’s no different then the one listed.

One point to remember with Colt Thompsons is Colt's Patent Fire Arms Manufacturing Company was a subcontractor to Auto-Ordnance Corporation - which did not have a factory in 1921/1922. I don't think returning a Thompson gun directly to Colt's was an option after the Thompson gun was introduced. Any return for any reason would have been to the Auto-Ordnance Corporation. The location or vendor where any warranty or requested work was performed would have been at the direction of Auto-Ordnance. And Colt's may or may not have been involved.

It would be a refinished gun, and it would not look the same as an original finish as well.

Most refinished guns are ruined guns IMO. If an all original Colt is scratched up, to me and many, thats much better than that same gun refinished.

Do not ever refinish a Colt Thompson. EVER!

Lets say I bought an original colt back in the day. I scratched the gun and sent it back off to the factory to be repaired/refinished. Would this now be consider a non-original finish and reblued? Better yet, what if I had the same factory worker repair/refinish the gun at his house off hours? Same worker, same factory refinish, would it not be? Or sent it back to original manufacture but different worker?

See where I am going with this. When does it become a crappy gun? Is it time, the worker who originally did the work, the manufacturer? The way I see it , Any colt sent back to the factory for repair or work wouldnt be considered original, even if it was done in the 20s or 30s.

Heres one. What if I happen to convince Colt today to refinish my 21 thompson? Would it not come back with factory colt wood and finish? Or would someone argue that is not the same Colt manufacturing company? I believe they would disagree .

Edited by michaelkih

It would be a refinished gun, and it would not look the same as an original finish as well.

Most refinished guns are ruined guns IMO. If an all original Colt is scratched up, to me and many, thats much better than that same gun refinished.

Do not ever refinish a Colt Thompson. EVER!

Edited by michaelkih