What Is Your Typical Long Range For Tsmg

One of the guys had just got done machining a new '28A1 receiver to go with his M1 he made this fall (of course he is a Class II). plus had a Boys with a new 50BMG barrel to try. Since the 35 yard subgun range is shall we say a little close for the 50 BMG, ended up shooting the '28A1 at a 100 yards most of the day (when we went back to 300 yards did leave the Thomson in the case ;-).

Was wondering what type long distance most everyone shoot's their Thomson at and good targets for 100 yards plus (the steel hanging plates worked well .... untill the 50BMG broke the mounts .....).

Edited to add, we also fired the M10/45 at 100 yards .... '28A1 is better ;-)

Edited by JTinIN

JTinIN

90% of "my" shooting is at 50 yards.

I haven't gone past 125 yet, not due to the gun, but the lack of the shooting ranges distance.

At 125 I still get very good results, shooting steel plates semi-auto, and ladder up.

Now granted its not .5 MOA either.

Edited by Grey Crow

I have shot mine at 100-300 yards. Its fun. Get the sun behind you and fire singles. You can actually see the rounds going downrange. When you do this, you actually quit using the sights and start watching the rounds. You can still hit pretty good. We shoot at bowling pins. We don't get a lot of hits, but we rejoice when we do!

Try it sometime, and make sure the sun is at your back.

John Jr.,

I remember shooting about a hundred rounds

that I reloaded a bit light in the powder dept.( somewhat below recomended

starting point with Hercules powder and 230 gr hardball ).

It was on a hundred yd. outdoor range. Boy! You could watch the bloody things leaving the

barrel and making thier way to the target.

It was late afternoon, sun at my back. Just like you said, I started to "walk"

them in like tracers. Neat, but slow http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

I've allways wanted to re-load some "poor mans tracers", put a bit of grease

on the tail of the bullet before seating it. Story is they leave a heck of a smoke

trail on the way to where they are going. Just not sure of the safety of such a round... greased up powder? Hangfires?

Hmmm,

Z

I normally shoot at the 50 yard range we can use. Frank is going to have to bring that 50 bmg out for our little shoot we do here. We can do 100 yards, but it's close to the barn then. In the competition at Tracie's, it's a 50 yard max down to 21 feet.

QUOTE (full auto 45 @ Feb 6 2005, 08:45 PM)
I normally shoot at the 50 yard range we can use. Frank is going to have to bring that 50 bmg out for our little shoot we do here. We can do 100 yards, but it's close to the barn then. In the competition at Tracie's, it's a 50 yard max down to 21 feet.

Small world ... figured you and Brickyard would know who just mill there own '28A1 .....

Always some concern shooting a 50 BMG too close, in particular against heavy steel plate with AP.

The Thompson in single shot works very well out to 150 yards. If you want to spend some time with your ladder sight you can reach out farther.

Kevin http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

I’ve fired bursts at 500 yards with the leaf up; I wouldn’t want to be down there, but won’t say it’s a tack driver either. As suppressive fire- it will do.

We have a great deal of BLM desert land just West of where I live. It's very informal; just get in the truck and go. The only rules are to be safe and not shoot the cattle! Sitting on the rim of a large sink hole and shooting at known ranges, I find the '28A1 to be accurate in single round fire for any range set on the sight scale, if by accurate you mean hitting a man-sized target. This is for original WWII ammo. With hand loads, shooting low or high is normal. As PK mentioned, the gun would work well for supressing fire at longer ranges. The tighter the hold and the shorter the bursts, the better!