Selling Protocol

Gentlemen,

I have just joined this forum and wish it was available about 30 years ago when I bought my first WH MG for the grand sum of $400 with a 39 round drum, hard case and 3 stick mags. Times have changed as have I and I have unfortunately medically retired and liquidated the MG collection before the Big Guy liquidates me.

While poking around I found a few TSMG mags in the footlocker. Always seemed like I spent more time loading mags than shooting. I found 3- 30 rounder Seymours in the green with Cosmo. One is rusted little after dieseling and steel wooling. I also found 2 more 30 Seymours with a slightly elongated holes. As I recall they still worked quite well in the WH and a model 1927. I also found a Seymour with a 10 round .22LR mag inserted. (Funny thing is I never had a .22!) It loads fine. I also have a 20 round Auto-Ordnance that is in perfect condition.

I think that I would rather sell these to someone who appreciates them on this forum rather than go the auction route. MGers are the nicest peple by far. You have to maintain that nice clean status to keep owning them.

I noted that there is no classified section on this forum. I wish to follow the proper protocol before offering these items. What procedure/pictures would I have to follow to offer them to the membership?

BTW the WH was bought to see what my OM could do with it. As a PT boat commander during WWII he had a brace of Navy models with C mags mounted on the cowling of his boat. Had to take the slat spray off every night. Before he passed, he played with this one quite a bit and could keep all 39 in a man silhouette at 100 yards. He bitched about it being too slow and the mag too small. A '21 actuator and an C drum solved that problem. At the end of the war he rembered burning his boat to the waterline off the Phillipines along with about 30 C drums along with the Navy's that were completley without bluing and wornout internally. Nice to see the smile and memories on his face when shooting that weapon. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Thanks for any advice.

Cordially,

Dave Tarasevich AKA Parusky

Busted out and email on the .22 conversion....

Thanks

BTW to answer your question people offer items for sale on this forum quite often. The thing that is nice is that you can edit your post with pics and prices without starting a new thread.....

I have to ask though.... "could keep all 39 in a man silhouette at 100 yards." On full auto? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

In what squadron and on which boat number did your father serve? Same last name as yours?

Dear Z3,

He had a number of "tricks" to do this grouping at full auto. With the slower rate of fire of the 28 he said you had to time correct the aim between shots by counter-acting the torque and minimal recoil. Mind you asfter a 30 year vacation it took him some time to re-learn the skills. I never could come as close. Another trick was to use an '03 sling looped over the front grip and stand on the other end. Kept it from rising. Worked fairly well. I can recall a tour in the 1950's of the FBI headquarters where at the end an agent would fire a a full auto drum from a Thompson at a backlight sil at 25 yards where you could cover the group with your hand. The agent would then hand out fired brass to the kids. I was one. The demo was impressive and loud with lots of smoke and flame and sparks. No ear protection or soundprooofing back then. I guess that this demo went the way of the buggy whip.

The only original parts that broke on the WH was the "new" two-piece design actuator. The ball connecting rod sheared during the second firing. I brazed it back on and even welded it without success. I think it was a little short compared to and original actuator. I still have a small scar on my forehead from when the ball came loose during the recoil stroke. A forged Savage one piece actuator cured that problem. It would still work with th eold actuator you just had to use a ball point pen to cock it.

The other failure was due to my use of cast bullet reloads. One failure to put in enough or any powder in a middle cartridge of a 30 round stick resulted in a burst barrel for about 3" on the left side. It kept on shooting without a problem for at least a 1000 rounds until a new one was screwed in. OM said that this happened to his from time to time without a problem.

To PK,

He was if memory serves in Rons 1,2,16,20,21. Three boats destroyed during that time. Not real clear on which individual vessels and photos are in storage. As oldest man on the vessel for decommissioning he had the battle ensign until it went to Kennedy museum in 1964-5. He was a plank holder in Pt Boats, Inc. and worked on the Higgins boat on disply in Battleship Cove in Fall River, Mass. I still have a few things left from the last boat. A set of Stainless Flatware, some radio gear, tools, patches, his personal diary, and a few other sundries. There are some records of work on the Packard V-12's for HP upgrades at the Univ. of Nebraska.

I do still have and shoot his personal '03 NM Springfield. I believe it was originally "borrowed" from the Hunt Army AF base in Savannah, GA. The Ron had been machine gunned by the US Coast guard off of NJ during the transit to Panama as a mistaken Nazi submarine and put into Savannah for repairs. He had a Lyman rear peep sight installed by a gunsmith in NO at a Lake Ponchatrain layover on the way to Panama. I have the original sights too! The weapon was rebarreled in 1944 after the old two-groove wore out from use and salt corrosion. It was his favorite for "mine" fishing. Tow a Jap mine to a lagoon and shoot a prong. Instant dinner for the boat and local "fuzzy-wuzzies."

The name is the same. Why the interest? Are you a graduate also? I do know that his last friend/shipmate passed away about 2 years ago and that most of his shipmates also had disappeared by 1985. I attended one reunion in Houston with him and it was a small lonely affair.

Cordially,

Dave T

My Dad served in RON 9. I wish I had as much memorabilia as you do, have to settle for some 20mm ‘shot glasses’ and a couple of photos. It was easier for an officer to obtain such I think.

Interesting, harrowing duty, was the PT RON’s of the pacific; I don’t think most folks have any idea.

I haven’t had any contact with PT Boats Inc. in a coon’s age; guess it’s time to look ‘um up again.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Dear PK,

I have the 30mm lamp, a Packard piston ashtray with San Francisco tokens for the rests. These guys must have been bored a lot. I still have 4 custom built knives that look like they were made from files. I still use the bearing scraper to bevel plastic pipe. The OM was not an officer when the action started though how he got the status is unclear and remains for history. He refused to join the "peter tare" group to stay with his swabbie buddies. Ron 9's history looks like that they had a lot of "fun."

The PT boaters Inc has been losing its membership at a frightening rate. I'm glad he got to enjoy their get togethers as much as he did before he passed.

Thanks for the comments.

Cordially,

Dave T

Got my mags today from Dave. Thanks very much. very happy. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

QUOTE (full auto 45 @ Jun 15 2005, 05:20 PM)
Got my mags today from Dave. Thanks very much. very happy. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I'll ditto that I just recieved mine today... Fair price good stuff....

• 2 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the kind comments. The comments are appreciated as I know that the stuff has ended up with some very classy people. Its not about the money; its about the people who took the time and effort to contribute respectful assistance and help.

Thanks again. I will try to keep watching what goes on this board. Although I no longer own any MG's I can always relive it vicarariously through your topics. I will not hesitate to contact y'all again when more stuff comes out of the "closet." http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Cordially,

D.J. Tarasevich