Auto Ordnance 3rd hand binding up

Does anybody else here have trouble with the 3rd hand tool that AO sells for changing drum magazines on the simiauto thompsons? Or maybe I'm using it wrong?

I find that with the AO 100 round drum, its not easy to insert and remove the 3rd hand tool while the drum is in the gun. So I have to have the tool in place and just leave it there in the magazine channel while shooting. No problem with that. Except that the 3rd hand doesn't fit the slot very well and will get cockeyed and bind up. So then you have an empty drum in the gun, the bolt is closed, and the 3rd hand tool is there but cannot move up and down. It takes a fair bit of cussing and wiggling and a few minutes later the thing is freed up and works.

Is this a common thing? I was wondering if I got a dud that was somehow misshapen a tad and causes it not to work that well.

Never had an issue with mine ... But I don't leave it in the gun while shooting,

Which drum are you using? The little nub on the back of my drum blocks the 3rd hand from being (un)installed into the magazine channel.

I have an older AO L drum

post-260006-0-44099900-1562102124_thumb.jpg

I've got a couple of the third hands and never had an issue with either one. My mag latch is a '28 WWII vintage modified for use with unmodified WWII and earlier stick mags, and I've only used L drums of various vintages. I'd tend to suspect something about the AO C drum causing the binding before the third hand.

Best of luck.

"Be well."

I'd tend to suspect something about the AO C drum causing the binding before the third hand.

Best of luck.

"Be well."

Well, that sounds like all the excuse in the world I need to justify buying some more drums. :D I tried again and there's no way to get my 3rd hand in and out of the gun while my drum is in place. But I think I have an answer for him. I knocked out some quick-n-dirty 3rd hands with a proper profile to fit the magazine channel. With them fitting in the gun correctly, I don't think they'll be able to go cockeyed and bind up like the AO one.

Screen-Shot-2019-07-04-at-10-43-38-AM.pn

Screen-Shot-2019-07-04-at-10-44-07-AM.pn

you can buy the original selectors or dan may have one on hand. he drills the hole where the original went . the only function it will have is to hold the bolt back. he does the machine work and im thinking there a spring involved. the results end up being you pull the bolt back and flip the switch which in turn holds the bolt in place, insert the drum pull back on bolt flip the switch and let the bolt move forward and load a round. when you want to remove the drum you do the same process. no third hand etc. and if you put the ezpull springs in it its a plus! I have two he did for me , I use mine for ww2 reenacting so I have the blank fire barrels in them at the moment. mine run like tops live fire or blanks. but that selector makes it nice for loading the drum. plus it looks really kool

Thank you on this information about Dan's selector! The third hand is the major reason I traded off a drum capable Tommy! Now I will be on the lookout again for one and know where iit will head immediately on getting it! How much does the job cost?

Over the weekend I played around with my '27A1 and a third hand (TH), and I was able to twist and bind up the TH in the channel. The TH came loose with the assistance of a small, flat blade screw driver. Looking at the TH, the four long edges that bind in the channel all appear to have a rather coarse finish. I smoothed the four edges somewhat with a knife sharpening stone, and the TH's propensity for binding was significantly reduced.

MHO, YMMV, etc. Be well.