Spitfire SMG..What can you tell me?

huggytree

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/792857104

ive seen these for sale...this one isnt overly pretty

this one i assume is a Semi auto conversion to full as the maker is listed as someone else besides spitfire..plus it has the crazy long barrel

anyone have one of these to tell me about it?

GG mags...modified? how?

im always open to rock bottom FA....no idea in this horrible market what this will sell for...i suspect not much

most likely the cheapest FA we will see right now

Barrel is standard 16 inch as came from factory. Pretty sure it uses standard GG mags no modification. Also bolt rides on 2 rods like a grease gun. Bolt cocked with finger like GG. Usually go for around 6K maybe more. Don’t have one but a friend did years back.

Front grip is original on auction pic . Front grip and lower pistol grip frame are both aluminum. Trigger parts are steel. Only lower has

Crinkle paint like Sterling. Upper and barrel and bolt are blued steel.Gun is sturdy not flimsy. Recoil is light. Has a rubber buffer that looks like the rubber lifts you put in rear springs of 60’s and 70’s cars to jack up rear of car for that cool look back then..

your spitfire was mfg. in TN. in the mid 60s by 1968 with the gun act. it was found that when you moved the safety 1/2 way between safe and fire it was full auto. i know be cause in march of 1968 i had one and lost it to the atf. i orig. paid $110.00 for it new.

This reminds me... (not to completely derail this thread)

I have a new production AO 1927. If you pull the trigger and turn the safety, the safety can be made to hold the sear block down. This takes the trigger and disconnector out of play and the spring pressure holds the firing pin in its forward position inside the bolt. I haven't tried it, but it seems like if you dropped the bolt like this, it could chamber a round and set it off and run in full auto like the fixed firing pin thompsons.

Screen-Shot-2018-12-07-at-3-25-27-PM.png
Screen-Shot-2018-12-07-at-3-25-18-PM.png
Edited by giantpune

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Yes fugly. Funny thing. I had 4 of them a few years back. All of them ran great. Ugly yes but they did work. I also have a friend that put the 9mm GG internals in a gun, new barrel, and I thought someone was messing with a S/A trying to make it sound like a MG. In 9mm it had about a 350 RPM cyclic rate.

There is a Spitfire that shows up at KCR every year. The gun is short of everything but shooter but he has fun.

I sold a few of them to friends and they are still friends but there is a bunch of grousing about the quality of the guns ;) They likely have the award as the lowest price MG currently on the market.

Ugly.

Grasshopper

• 6 months later...

There was a Spitfire thread on the boards a fews years back. There was a guy,I think that his name was Jack. Cannot recall his last name. Did business under J&S Guns or something to that effect. He stated that he worked on them. Anybody have any information on him? I think that his shop used to be in Maryland. Rumor had, that he was moving to FL...

Or know anyone out there in NFA land that is familiar with them?

Thanks

• 3 months later...
I bought one from one of the big dealers. The gun would shoot 2-3 rounds then jammed. The front grip was loose from the start. After a few mags it flopped freely. I noticed a few more Allen screws had been added, so someone else had the same issue. I tried tightening it up, but they were stripped as the grip is aluminum. Accuracy was pretty good. I took it apart and the tube is so thin it felt like a kids toy. I sent it back for a refund. This is a gun that makes a Mac look like high quality

• 3 weeks later...

I have a semiauto made by Eagle Arms. Think it’s a Spitfire clone. Not sure how to describe the lower; seems like cast aluminum. It uses an M3 style bolt, guided on two rods. Cocked with an under bolt finger hole. It is a POS - seldom fires more than 2 rounds without a stoppage: the rounds sit too low and the bolt pushes it into the front of the mag well which pushes the bullet into the case. I’ve tried throating the feed ramp (which is the barrel end) with no effect. I suspect the mag is not held high enough; my thought was to sell it, but getting my Reising to run well (with lots of help from this board) taught me patience, perseverance, and gunsmithing self-education, so I’ll get the damn thing to work. Agree with the posters who said it is an ugly gun.

At the Creek, I heard of a well known shooter who insisted on firing the Subgun course with a Spitfire. He experienced multiple failures which delayed the event for subsequent shooters and has given him a bad name. Rumor has it that Spitfire/clones will be banned from match use.

Correction to my first post: my gun is cocked by sticking a fingertip in a gap between the bolt and receiver. When the bolt is forward, there’s a half inch opening. The bolt is machined such that it is turned to 5/8” or so from the bolt body 1 3/4” back from the tubular receiver’s extraction port. The barrel/forend unit screws onto the receiver using a captive threaded cap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...