Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Why did Thompson Auto Ordnance say “no steel case ammo”?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Porschedog

Porschedog

• Regular Group
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 04:31 PM

Just curious. I can neither confirm nor deny that some Wolf steel case ammo may have been ingested and digested and spat out by my Thompsons. If it did happen, the cases were pretty much chewed up and while the ammo was dirty, everything worked fine when I pressed the loud button. 

#2 APEXgunparts

APEXgunparts

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 269 posts
  • Interests:Military history & martial arms.

Posted 16 October 2020 - 06:57 PM

Steel cased .45 ammunition was loaded during WW2, I think at the Chrysler run ammo plant.
I have handled some, it isn't coated, just plain steel.
In its time that may have been hard on extractors.

Richard

#3 Maxim

Maxim

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:History

Posted 16 October 2020 - 09:44 PM

I have had it explained to me that steel cased ammo in a Thompson can damage the bolt, causing the lower face that pushes the cartridge from the magazine to break.

#4 Got Uzi

Got Uzi

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 987 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 12:11 PM

There is documentation stating that during WWII-in the event of an ammunition shortage for the front line, brass case ammurnion was to be held in reserve for units primarily issues Thompsons. For units primarily issues M3s or M3A1s they were to be issued the steel case ammunition.

Its correct that a heavy diet of steel case 45s can break the nose section of a Thompson bolt.

#5 dalbert

dalbert

Website Owner

• Admin
  • 4914 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:30 PM

There is documentation stating that during WWII-in the event of an ammunition shortage for the front line, brass case ammurnion was to be held in reserve for units primarily issues Thompsons. For units primarily issues M3s or M3A1s they were to be issued the steel case ammunition.

Its correct that a heavy diet of steel case 45s can break the nose section of a Thompson bolt.

I dont recall that documentation. Where did you see it? I dont have my books handy at the moment.

I have some of the EC 43 steel cased ammo in my collection. I bought it in Hawaii many years ago as shooter ammo for my 1911, but never shot it.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

#6 Bruce L

Bruce L

Long Time Member

• Regular Group
  • 220 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:46 PM

I dont recall that documentation. Where did you see it? I dont have my books handy at the moment.

I have some of the EC 43 steel cased ammo in my collection. I bought it in Hawaii many years ago as shooter ammo for my 1911, but never shot it.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I remember as a kid that Dad has a lot of WW2 steel ammo that we would shoot in his old 1911. At least 50 percent of the cases split. And that was 45 years ago.

#7 Got Uzi

Got Uzi

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 987 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:50 PM

Ill have to dig up my copies I got from Sutton Coffman. These were documents from the British if I believe....Ill contact him and verify my memory

#8 bug

bug

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1682 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, shooting, reloading, metalworking, woodworking, photography.

Posted 17 October 2020 - 11:11 PM

Just curious. I can neither confirm nor deny that some Wolf steel case ammo may have been ingested and digested and spat out by my Thompsons. If it did happen, the cases were pretty much chewed up and while the ammo was dirty, everything worked fine when I pressed the loud button. 

When did Auto Ordnance  make that statement?

#9 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2116 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 07:55 AM

I've shot wolf steel case... Shot great but broke an extractor or two.. as an added heresy...you can run it through your reloading press...

#10 Paladin601

Paladin601

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 1201 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:47 AM

Steel on steel wears parts prematurely.  Brass on steel, the brass wears saving the steel part. Brass is Copper and Zinc alloy, softer then steel.