Mp-38 / 40

A number of years ago (1970's) I had first got my Class III, and ARMEX was selling dealer sample MP-38 MP-38/40 and MP-40's (priced from $395 to $495)

You were allowed to purchase one of each...so I did.

The MP-38 / 40 was stamped such!

It had the MP40 two piece bolt handle... it was an MP-38, and then afterwards had been stamped "/ 40"

A few years later I sold it to a Class III dealer in Alaska. But again, ARMEX had them advertised as such.

I've been able to find no original German references to anything called an MP38/40, but I have one. It is a Inland (US made tube) receiver, fluted to resemble the MP38, but manufactured to accept MP40 parts. I bought it from Curt Earl in 1982;he called it an MP38/40. The form 4 calls it an MP38, and lists the manufacturer as Inland Arms. It's nasty, but a great shooter.

• 3 months later...

I thought that the MP38/40 was the transitional piece that took place because of the safety issues associated with the original MP38? The /40 (also I think called a II) supposedly adds the push-pull bolt and the safety notch.

I purchased one of the Inland Arms MP38's about 4 years ago. It came in with a MP38 tube, but a matching MP40 kit. It ran very poorly. Like yours, it was registered as a MP38. A friend helped me find a m/m MP38 kit which I swapped out on the tube. Surprisingly, it runs like a sewing machine on the MP38 kit. It's a sweet, very uncommon gun.

• 2 weeks later...

That does sound like an interesting gun, Luftwaffefeld. Glad it runs good now. NOw, the MP40/II was the double side-by-side mag calamity, wasn't it? That's what Small Arms of the World says. Right? And the MP41 was the wooden stock version of the MP40.

It's interesting about the push-pull bolt and forward safety notch issue on 38's. I've seen pix of supposedly MP38's that have those. I thought that started with the MP40. But, there is likely more to the "real" MP38/40 than I know. We sure have seen them listed both ways (38/40 & 40), for sure. Anybody else have helpful info???

Ron, the "push pull" safety was introduced in mid-production mp40's and was retro-fitted in the earler mp38/40's by the factory or out in the field, by the units armorer. Infact, it's hard to find a mp38 or an early mp40 that doesn't feature the "push pull" safety! The mp41 was a totaly different design than the mp40, it resembles the mp40. But very little interchanges with it, as the magazine well and the magazines are about all that will fit the mp40. The mp41 is also a select fire weapon. I believe that the mp41 was designed specifically for export to Romainia, who had produced a submachine gun that was quite simular to the mp41.

Ron, i would put a picture up of the selector mechanism, but i just cannot figure out how to post pictures.........yet! The mecanism somewhat resembles the Bergman smg...

Ron Mills,

I recommend that you get a copy of THE MP38, 40, 40/1 AND 41 SUBMACHINE GUN, by Special Interest Publicaties BV. The book is superbly illustrated and includes a full page picture of a field stripped MP41. There are many differences between the MP40 and MP41; its not just a MP40 on a wood stock. The bolt and recoil spring/ firing pin are probably the only interchangable parts.

The U.S. distributor for this book is Ironside International @ (703) 684- 6111.

Fergus.

And of couse, you need (if you don't have a copy of now)..Franks book: Blitzkrieg! The maschinenpistole of world war 2....And yes i do love the special interests book!