Drum, Any comments?

It appears you have a Seymour Products drum body with a Colt's era numbered drum cover. That is one heck of a mis-match drum! I don't know enough about the winding key to offer a comment but someone on the Board will know.

Let me know if the drum cover is available!

As Tom says, a mismatch that spans 20 years. The Seymour body has obviously been refinished. I would like to see the rotor to see what drum it is likely from. If it is blued and has an S stamped on it, it is also Seymour.

The version of the key is hard to determine from the pics. It could be Colt era, including Worcester drums, or WWII.

I will look at the drum mismatch inventory to determine if anyone has reported the body stamped 3030.

Roger

L-drum 3030 does not appear on the mismatched drum registry, so this is a new one to our collecting community.

Ron,

Yes, all Colt-era stamped numbered drums were numbered on both the cover and body faceplates.

Larryhymer,

Depending on the price, I am an interested potential buyer. Where is the drum located?

Roger

I have been offered this mismatched drum for about 2500NOK / 300USD, I consider buying for my collection. I will travel to se the inside before buying. I dont know what You think about the amount vs actual value.

I will thank everyone for all the nice information, If I buy, and later will sell, I will post here for You.

Thanks.

Larry,

I would consider that a very good price considering the numbered drum cover assuming that it works. USD 250-300 is a reasonable price for a working refinished shooter drum even without the Colt-era cover. Make certain to confirm that the rotor works.

I suspect the rotor is blued. It may or may not have the Seymour S stamped on it. For a shooter drum, it doesn't really matter either way. If it has a nickel rotor from a Colt-era drum, that would be a steal.

Please provide pictures of all of the outside and inside if you purchase it. We always love pictures!

Roger

Here there now are few of the collectors who can have the Thompson SMGˋs legaly in fully working action, full auto.

There is a bit more who can have them in singel shot action. This is due to the law, changing to adapt the new EU gun laws.

The ones which have the old permits, will probably be able to keep them in the future too. The new collectors will have to collect them as deactivated. If you have one Thompson, deactivated to old standards you can keep them as they are today, but if you sell it must be to the new EU standard. Old standards can be able to a full fieldstrip, working action etc.

The prices for the SMG is much lower than in the US. A Colt Thompson 1921 is a hard to get item here. There are some of them around, mostly in museums, some in private collections. I have not seen anyone for sale. I guess, the price would be in 6-8k usd.

The model of 1928 I have seen/heard for sale goes between 1000 usd- 3000 usd. The 1928 A1 about 900-1300usd. The m1 and m1a1 750-950 usd.

There came many Thompsons here during the war, the navy too had a lot of them. There has been a lot coming out of the Ukraine/Russian stores. They were mostly deactivated, but brand new, mint. Many drum magazines too, many 20 round magazines and cleaning rods, and oil bottles. A ww2 drum goes in price from about 300-600 usd, 20 round mag about 25-30 usd.

From time to time in local flee markets / gun markets, some Thompson parts, mag Pouches, is found. Magazine pouches for 5 magz, russian ww2 you could buy for 40-60 usd. Un marked.