Read 'em And Weep---

I saw the X drum too.

The front grip is exactly like the color of one I had with a "made in China" sticker on it. Guess it came through Sarco at one time.

Does make you wonder what this is all about. There is about a $1400 difference betwen the "advertised" price with the L drum and the C drum. Not really that far out of line with our prices on the drum alone.

I too noticed the X drum after I made the post; I figured you guys would too. But the other "wizbit "website with the C Drum...the sling mounts indicate British issue. I wish they'd shoot a closeup of the C.

John Jr., enlighten me as to how the X drum was cobbled up. I can't tell.

Julianmb, if you're gonna be there on holiday, can you check the places out?

It is interesting stuff. Makes ya wonder if these chaps have a warehouse full of parts??

OK John, I see what you mean regarding the rocker & safety. It's an AO gun, I agree. There are so many variations that have surfaced, yet it's highly unlikely that an arsenal rebuild would make its way "over there"...who knows.

A museum near where I grew up has a 28A1 with 'L' rear site, smooth bl., comp, displayed w/L drum. It's displayed with "right" side of receiver viewable. Card with gun says "On permanent loan from Rock Island Armory". So, likely an arsenal rebuild. The point being, there's a whole lot of variations out there, as we well know. Wish we could eyeball the ones on those Brit websites...

Well, what you need is someone on the board who actually lives in the UK, like me......

The background to most of these is that they are new ex-Russian 28A1s which all appeared to have been supplied with stick mags and horizontal front grips. Also they were unstamped on the sides for the US Ordnance acceptance markings and stuff like that. You can buy them any configuration you want, but of course any departure from the standard spec means that drum mag and vertical foregrip and the like will be new production or repro.

Most of them were new, in the crate, but they didn't get to the UK until after our new de-activation spec had come in ( basically gut the thing, weld everything solid so it looks original but won't do anything) so although they look nice there's nothing can be done with them. Don't envy the guy who had to take all these brand new units and do all that destruction though.

It is still possible to buy units deactivated to the original spec, which is much more liberal and still leaves you with a fully funtional mechanism which just wont fire, but this turned out to be a little too easy to 're-convert'

I have a 28AI to the original spec, and an M1A1 I bought to the latest spec.

I won't offer to buy and post on anything gun-related to outside the Uk as neither you nor I really want the legal hassle.....

regards from Scotland,

Gordon

Good morning Ron,

Yes, it just bugs me that all this perfectly servicable NOS material is being cut up, but then the chances of a permit for an 'ordinary' firearm in the Uk now are nil, much less a tommy gun.

On the other side of the coin, I've seen a few of these going around, and very smart they look - their availability means the cost is quite low (in relative terms) which has raised the profile of the Thompson quite a bit here.

I bought my Savage 28A1 about five years back for the equivalent of $1000 then, and I could have had a 21 Colt of the same spec for about $2200 at that time but didn't take it (stupid boy - eh?)

The Savage value has doubled, maybe trebled, and I'd guess the Colt would have done the same.

(Remember - everything here is de-activated, but the old spec deactivation is quite nice - relatively speaking)

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Welcome to the board. It is always great having someone from the UK on board to let us know what is happening outside the USA. Quick question: Do you see many deactivated (either style) Colt Thompsons for sale? Or in the hands of collectors?

Thanks,

Tom