Cleaning a Thompson - New/1st Time Owner with Questions

Hello. I just recently became a 1st time Thompson owner via the purchase of a 1928A1 on Gunbroker. Still awaiting its arrival, but trying to be proactive and prepared so I can fully enjoy it when it gets here. I have already obtained some extra magazines(box and drum), but it just occurred to me that cleaning the gun after use will also be an issue. I have shot them before as rentals at ranges, but that excuses one from the responsibility of cleaning it after the fun is over. First-are there any special tools needed for cleaning and if so, where is the best place to find them?I have seen Thompson cleaning rods on Gunbroker but not much else I can recall(and the gun I bought is a shooter grade weapon, so obtaining "original" cleaning tools for historical accuracy is not part of my plan). And second-I will need instructions for how the cleaning should be properly done. Are these available in any particular book or Thompson manual?

For cleaning the bore I use an M1 carbine cleaning rod. Its a two piece unit with a swivel handle, works nice. Comes in a canvas belt case.

Search on gunbroker.com.

For cleaning the comp I use a 20 ga bore brush on a home made handle.

I don't strip the trigger group , but sometimes use an air compressor to blow out powder debris.

Congratulations on your TSMG

JIM C

Edited by jim c 351

For cleaning the bore I use an M1 carbine cleaning rod. Its a two piece unit with a swivel handle, works nice. Comes in a canvas belt case.

Search on gunbroker.com.

For cleaning the comp I use a 20 ga bore brush on a home made handle.

I don't strip the trigger group , but sometimes use an air compressor to blow out powder debris.

Congratulations on your TSMG

JIM C

I found that the chamber brush for my BAR is perfect for the Thompson bore.

Most important is to completely understand how to disassemble and reassemble.

The clean and lube part will be pretty standard, once you get the big pieces apart.

Per comments, the trigger group parts seldom require removal, but it's nice to know how;

In particular, if someone buys a WH and can't wait to ditch the repro parts.

Trying to do a complete job of cleaning with the issue bent brush is a ship in a bottle approach.

Clean the bore from the breech; the coated cleaning rod goes through the hole in the receiver rear.

Edited by mnshooter

If you’re interested in learning the operation and assembly/disassembly so you understand how all the parts go together there are a few YouTube videos that were a good start for me and would be of use to anyone who is a visual learner. I’m not associated with the videos but I found them really helpful.

WWII training video on operation with cutaways to see the parts working

Field stripping

Lower disassembly

In my meager experience relative to many Board members, a new, fresh '28 recoil spring is a lot harder to compress and install than is shown in the second video. After being shot a while, they do relax and get easier.

Good luck and enjoy many safe, happy times with your Thompson.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

"Be well."

Did you buy the Midwest tactical gun ?

If so that was a fair price for a shooter grade 1928A1 that a friend of mine was bidding on the previous time Midwest put it up.

Something funky going on there but the price it sold for this last auction was pretty good.

IMO the 1928A1 is the "sweet spot" for Thompsons; Original WW2 provenance, accepts drum mags, cheap parts, compensator and no fear of depreciation if shot.

Nice choice.

PS I completely disassembled my "like new" M1A1s and found grit in places where it shouldn't have been.

From the factory ?

I used gun grease in the internals (vs oils) to ensure long term corrosion resistance.

Edited by lightguy

Why, yes, I did get the Bridgeport 1928A1 from Gunbroker from Midwest Tactical. I had bought several books to get knowledgeable enough to make informed decisions about purchasing a Thompson and been following Thompsons on Gunbroker for over a month. This was the 1st gun I actually bid on, and I was somewhat surprised to be the winning bidder for the price paid. But it has all been been on up and up, Midwest Tactical has been very good to deal with and gun being shipped as of this week. As far as my(recently acquired)Thompson knowledge extends, the gun appears to be genuine and exactly as advertised. Looking forward to being a member of the Thompson owner club! I have watched the YouTube videos recommended by the other responders to this thread to learn how to disassemble/clean a Thompson, very helpful! What kind of gun grease do you use? I have several pistols and a 12g Beretta shotgun, for which I use Rem Oil to clean/lubricate. Is gun grease a better option for a Thompson?

In my meager experience relative to many Board members, a new, fresh '28 recoil spring is a lot harder to compress and install than is shown in the second video. After being shot a while, they do relax and get easier.

Good luck and enjoy many safe, happy times with your Thompson.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

"Be well."

And don't forget to insert something in the guide rod to hold the recoil spring in place before removing the unit!