Did The Us Military Use Vertical Foregrips?

Did the US military ever issue Thompsons with the vertical foregrip?

The found in the wall Thompson thread got Me thinking about this. I have seen British militay Thompson pics with both the vertical and horizontal foregrip and have heard that the US issued the vertical grip occasionally but have never seen a picture of any US Thompsons with that style grip. I have seen one US soldier with that style grip but it didn't look like a US issued weapon The gun in wall thread got Me curious about this as they mentioned it may have been a military issue.

Dave

The US Marines certainly did. There are photos of them using vertical foregrip 28's in Nicaragua between the wars.

I'm sure one of the much more knowledgable gurus can elaborate.

In the 30's here at Ft.Knox, the first Thompsons issued to armor crewmen had the verticle grip. Photos of early rudimentary armor companies, equipped with machine gun tanks, show armor crewmen holding Thompsons with the verticle grip.

In the late thirties, the forming of 1st Armored division, the horizontal grip is shown on Thompsons held by the tankers & scouts.....Ft.Knox, the Home of Armor...........jw