1927a5 Barrels?

I know I should contact ATF for a firm answer on this, but I'm just looking for best guesses here. What I'm thinking of doing, when I find an A5 and the price is right, is replacing the 13" no-comp barrel with a 10.5" 1921AC/28AC barrel with comp. Anybody have any thoughts about legality of this?

OK, that rules that out. Thanks. Washington state= no Title II except silencers (and then you can't use even those). How much length does the comp add? (If the comp's permanently pinned/welded on, the '27A1 guys have used that to buy a little barrel reduction before... could it work here, too, as long as OAL remains 26+"?) Besides, even if WA were AOW-ok, I'd still have to get an OK from ATF before traveling in Oregon (one of the few other 1927A5-ok-for-ccw states). Edited by nedry

Even with a comp (welded) on the barrel, the gun still falls short of the 26" minimum.

My suggestion is to have a non functional comp fitted OVER the original barrel. On a semi auto, the comp is more or less for looks anyway.

This way the gun remains legal and will look more like real SMG (without the stock.) http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Norm

I’ve done a couple of A5’s with custom 13.5” OAL barrels with permanently mounted Cutts. This makes them only 1” longer than a SMG barrel with Cutts.

Add true SMG barrel contour and it’s difficult to tell the difference at a glance.

QUOTE (LIONHART @ Sep 29 2004, 11:29 AM)
One needs to write the ATF Tech Branch to find out whether or not an individual can install a 10" Barrel along with a Horizontal Grip without regisetring their A5 as an AOW. I believe it can be.

+1

I was just thinking the same thing. The whole AOW deal is because it has a vertical pistol grip under the barrel, if you put a horizontal forearm on it then it should be legal to put a shorter barrel on it. This is the same deal as with an AR pistol, you can build one up with the standard style handguards but you can't install a vert. pistol grip on it or it'll become an AOW. Personally, I'd rather have a horizontal forearm on something like this, it would make it more compact and I think it'll look better.

Right you are Frank, and lets not forget the AK47 Style Pistols hitting the Marketplace. Krinks with standard Laminated Upper/Lowers Handgurads less than 26". And as you pointed out, installing a Vertical on either one would consitute building an AOW. However, if someone were to do this to an A5, best to contact ATF first. It wouold be a nice thought if Karh introduced an All Steel A5, rather than one constructed of Alloy..

QUOTE (LIONHART @ Sep 29 2004, 11:52 AM)
Right you are Frank, and lets not forget the AK47 Style Pistols hitting the Marketplace. Krinks with standard Laminated Upper/Lowers Handgurads less than 26". And as you pointed out, installing a Vertical on either one would consitute building an AOW. However, if someone were to do this to an A5, best to contact ATF first. It wouold be a nice thought if Karh introduced an All Steel A5, rather than one constructed of Alloy..

By the way Lionhart, I like your avatar, I've watched this guy play Sherlock Holmes and he does an excellent job. OK, back to topic,LOL.

Oh, crud. This seemingly-simple project (aside from acquiring the raw materiel for it) just got a LOT more complicated, all due to the grip issue and my partiality to the original vertical foregrip.

Thanks much for all the advice, everybody. Before I do anything on hardware, I'll definitely contact ATF to make sure I know what the limits are so I can add a reasonable safety margin to stay within bounds.