Early Lewis Gun Magazine

I was told that this is a rare and very early 47 round Lewis drum magazine. Any idea on how many of these were made and when? Any other details about them? I want to learn more about them, but I can not find anything online about these early drums. Only about the regular $100 drums that are readily available. Thanks!

Second type Lewis drum issued with ground guns (as compared to airservice guns which had different drums) used in WWI. This pattern intruduced the radial grooves that reduce the flexibility of the top and make the whole pan more rigid.

Not common, but not really rare either.

Most subsequent improvements were to the latching system.

Issue Lewis guns were provided with 44 drums which illuminates the huge number of drums manufactured.

Get a copy of the ‘Belgian Rattlesnake’ by william Easterly.

FWIW

Second type Lewis drum issued with ground guns (as compared to airservice guns which had different drums) used in WWI. This pattern intruduced the radial grooves that reduce the flexibility of the top and make the whole pan more rigid.

Issue Lewis guns were provided with 44 drums which illuminates the huge number of drums manufactured.

FWIW

Thanks for the reply. That's pretty cool that it is a little more durable and that the latching system is a little better. I paid $300 for it when I just bought the Lewis.

FWIW

I love getting good books on every machine gun I own, but it appears to be a $1000+ used book online, so I'm going to have to pass or wait until a reprint happens. Same thing with the good Bren book. Darn!

The good Bren book (I assume you mean Bren Gun Saga) is a little out of date now and has many inaccuracies. Thats not meant to be a negative comment as new information is coming to light all the time and its no fault of the author. Theres still lots of good info in it but not to the value that some second hand books go for.

What the others said. there have been a number of articles over the years on the Lewis and drums. If you have access to SAR I think there is a good article in the archive. I have several of the early drums like the one pictured, they are not "rare" but not common either The Belgian Rattlesnake book is fairly old at this point, and there has been more written. Still a good book.