DIY- 50bmg builders parts kit question

Hey guys,

Okay well in addition to other items, I've always wanted to Own a 50bmg rifle. Before Obama or Hillary eventually bans them. However I cannot afford to drop several thousand dollars on one. Things are a bit shake at work these days and there is a possibility of lay offs soon. So I may need every penny I've got in the unlikely case that my job should become unnecessary and eliminated. Hopefully not. But I still want to get a big 50 while I still can. So I thought building one might be a bit more cost effective alternative to buying a new or used one. So does anybody here know of any companies or other sources for obtaining the complete parts kit to build one myself? Even if it only were to contain an 80%receiver I have a friend who works in a machine shop who agreed to assist me in completing it WITH Me ACTUALLY PERFORMING THE Work he will be allowing me to use his equipment and then supervise me during the build process. Anybody know where I can either get a complete parts kit or at least a 80% receiver from?

Check Gun Broker for a parts kit or 1919a4.com in the ad board or in the .50 forum.

Do you need an M2/3 or just want one?

Would a bolt gun be better? They're cheaper.

M2/3's are pretty specific and not any parts plans out there for building your own stuff. KMP sells parts for completing your build and will exchange parts with you for your unmoded parts (I think). Look them up and see what they offer, the 1919 board has alot of info and guys will help you out.

I don't think he said anything about a M2/M3 . His price limit kinda rules them out .

About the only one I'm aware of in this range would be a Safety Harbor Firearms rifle .

Complete guns are $1850 ( single shot ) and $2250 ( repeater ) .

Uppers are $1459 and $1850 and they can mount on any standard AR15 style lower .

I just bought and assembled an Anderson pistol lower for $170 ( $65 for lower , $60 for internals , $45 for buffer /tube assembly .

Might be hard to do even a poor job for less.

Chris

Ok, so after re-reading his post, yeah an upper on an AR lower would be the cheapest route.

Unless you get an 80% receiver cheap, look for a finished lower to use. I really don't care for 80% lowers as far as reliability goes. If you do buy one, be sure it's of top quality.

Chris,

Do you still work at the same place in Yuma?

With finished Anderson lowers for $65 ( tax inc. ) you could not save enough to pay for your trouble to try and finish one . If you want the challange , though.........

Yep , been here from '71 , hope to be here till I retire in about 6 years , if we can stay open . Five of the last six independent stores have closed in the last couple years , I'm the last . When I'm gone it'll be chains and dealers only . Only reason I'm still here is just pure orneriness . Well , that and a big farm rental income .

Chris

Okay thanks for the suggestions. To answer a couple of questions. My proposed budget does limit my choices of whitch types of 50's I can purchase. I'm cool with that though, while I'd like to get a semi-auto 50bmg I'm probably going to wind up with a bolt action or single shot model. I thought about doing the upper receiver 50bmg and installing unto an AR lower HOWEVER can any AR lower be able to handle firing a 50 caliber bullet through it meaning mainly is the lower gonna be able to physically handle that safely? Have any of you done it and how is it worked out for you so far? BTW I have already purchased a 3 pack of AR lowers 80% kit ones. Just not too sure I'd they can put up with the stress from a 50bmg.

Oh one last thing, I do check gunbroker regularily but like previously mentioned I'm not 100% convinced that an AR receiver is really up to the task of accommodating a 50bmg bullet regularily being fired through it. That's why I keep asking who's got a 50 like that and how has it worked out for you so far?

One of the 50 BMG AR-15 upper makers tested a single AR-15 lower with several thousand rounds some years ago with zero problems. As I recall they measured the takedown pin locations before and after and there was less than 0.0005 change if my memory is correct. Even if your lower was stretched out to the point you couldn't use it for an AR-15 platform, it would probably still work fine underneath a 50 BMG upper since all you need from it is to strike the firing pin, hold your buttstock and pistol grip.

I have owned about 8 different 50 BMG AR-15 uppers over the years and none of them did anything negative to my AR lowers.

The upper is what contains the cartridge and takes all the pressure.

The price of a lower is nothing compared to the other stuff you need so get two or 3 if you are worried. I am still seeing them for $40 completely finished.

I have several Safety Harbor uppers that are ready to ship if you need one. The only one that is out of stock is the 29" mag fed model.

www.LongRangeSupply.com

http://www.longrangesupply.com/store/50-bmg-ar-15-uppers-accessories/safety-harbor-shtf-50-bmg-upper-conversions-for-ar-15-lowers.html

Edited by Don - LongRangeSupply.com

Thanks longrange, I'll also check the link to your site in a minute or two. You can understand my concerns though right? I've fired a 50bmg before as my friend has one. When I asked him the same question I'm asking here, he replied "no don't do that, your AR lower wasn't designed to handle the pressure of a 50, not for too long anyway". Since he has I think something like 7 separate 50bmg rifles I thought I should research it more before deciding on doing that. Also I suspect that he may have just been trying to get me to buy one of his that's he's trying to sell. After having this convoy with him, immediately after he offered to sell it to me. But alas he wants more than I can afford.

As was posted already, the AR lower is just the fire controls for the upper. You put more stress on it by holding on to the pistol grip.

.50 uppers have been around for years, if the lowers were being ruined the companies that make them would have closed up shop by now. Look up Advanced Long Range Systems, Ferret 50 (Spider firearms), ULR 50, Safety Harbor...

Oops longrange I misunderstood what you said. I thought you said that you were selling the AR lowers for forty bucks I see now that you said you've seen them selling for that price. I do already have a 3 pack of AR lowers 80% ones they costs a might more than 40 bucks each. I paid $160.00 for all three of them. Where did you see them for forty bucks? At that price I may as well just pick up a couple more.

• 4 weeks later...

They are sold out right now on the $40 lowers. There was and has been continued panic buying of AR type stuff for several weeks now which has depleted inventory and driven the prices up, but you can still get a fully finished lower for under $60.

www.kygunco.com

They do have others in stock from $55.

Several on Gunbroker.com for under $60.

ttp://www.gunbroker.com/item/570309886