Stembridge Movie Guns

Does anyone know if there is an existing list of the guns that were previously owned by Stembridge? I know its a longshot. Looking at a Thompson that is claimed to be a Stembridge gun but cannot verify. I found a phone number on line but it keeps going to voicemail. I know the Stembridge company is out of business but it looks like there may still be someone around to contact. Any help is appreciated.

I have an original printout of the guns, if I can be of help, as I bought quite a few from the auction. The master list also identifies movie guns in short detail.

Dan will have lists, of course, and may have a separate accounting of verified movie guns.

What's the serial number of the gun?
if you don't want it to post it here you can post it to me: bmg17a1@gmail.com

I have an original printout of the guns, if I can be of help, as I bought quite a few from the auction. The master list also identifies movie guns in short detail.

Dan will have lists, of course, and may have a separate accounting of verified movie guns.

Thanks. Sending an email now.

Duane

Thanks. Sending an email now.

Duane

We were able to contact Dan and he was kind enough to share his notes from the Ellis properties representative, when he was inventorying both movie prop houses. Our movie SMG was verified in his notes. We have the certificate of authenticity with that also states the movie that it was in. The certificate is from Ellis Property. Another note, many movie prop houses stamped their mark on the weapons. S for Stembridge an E for Ellis. Some weapons have multiple stamps from the other property houses that used the weapons in the movies that they supplied.

Best bet is to contact Dan Shea.

D

Before I read the post above, I just sent off an e-mail to Dtu179 of the contents of the Stembridge second of the two auction lists dated 4/20/1999 which included 11 specifically listed 28A1 "movie guns" and described those as having been used in "Dick Tracy".

No serial numbers of MGs were included on either of the Stembridge master auction lists.

Another 32 28A1's were listed later in the auction "catalogue" but were not movie guns.

FWIW

Thanks, but I didnt receive the email.

Before I read the post above, I just sent off an e-mail to Dtu179 of the contents of the Stembridge second of the two auction lists dated 4/20/1999 which included 11 specifically listed 28A1 "movie guns" and described those as having been used in "Dick Tracy".

No serial numbers of MGs were included on either of the Stembridge master auction lists.

Another 32 28A1's were listed later in the auction "catalogue" but were not movie guns.

FWIW

Dan Shea is the best option. If he states that a particular weapon was indeed in the auction of weapons from either Stembridge or Ellis.Thats the ticket.

He was instrumental in getting all of those weapons out of CA.

If anyone knows about the CADOJ and how they work. Theyll understand. Especially, if one has had personal experience.

We checked with him, before we purchased a movie used SMG.

It came with a signed certificate from two people that represented the movie property company, stating the the weapon was used in a particular movie. Our weapon does have the letter E stamped in numerous places.

The gun I was looking at had a item number. Apparently Stembridge tracked their guns using a letter and number this one was N868 I believe according to what was supplied by the seller.

But unfortunately its a non-issue now. Like I said the seller sold it to someone else while we were finishing negotiations.

If there are no serial numbers on the Stembridge master auction lists. Would a person need a paperwork trail back to the Stembridge auction for verifiable provenance?

Edited by Dtu2179

The gun I was looking at had a item number. Apparently Stembridge tracked their guns using a letter and number this one was N868 I believe according to what was supplied by the seller.

But unfortunately its a non-issue now. Like I said the seller sold it to someone else while we were finishing negotiations.

If there are no serial numbers on the Stembridge master auction lists. Would a person need a paperwork trail back to the Stembridge auction for verifiable provenance?

Thanks for the info.

The number on the letter is N868 so that does verify it was from Stembridge.

Copied from the 4/20/1999 Stembridge Movie Rental auction of printout published by LMO.

Description below is from the column titled: MOVIE USE

N868: 1928A1; SAVAGE:: MG: USED IN THE MOVIE "Dick Tracy": $5200: BLANKED-REBLUED UPPER AND LOWER-LOWER IS MATCHING NUMBER-LYMAN REAR SIGHT-FINNED BARREL-CUTTS COMPENSATOR-FINISH IS EXCELLENT-WOOD IS ROUGH-MARKED MODEL OF 19218A1-FOREGRIP HAS BEEN REPLACED

In reply to the above poster's questions about finding out a serial number of a gun in the auction, Dan Shea of LMO in Henderson, NV has that info.

The vintage MGs that I purchased all had copies of original registration paperwork to Stembridge dated 1934. These MGs had never been transferred after their original registration by Stembridge until transferred to LMO.

Hope this is useful. FWIW

In 2015 someone on Subguns posted the entire 6-page list of Ellis properties guns and their serial #'s, I'll have to check but I may have saved the 6-page list in an e-mail. I bought a Mac-11A1 SMG that was sold to me as a "movie" gun and sure enough the serial # was on the list of Ellis movie guns...not the same as a Thompson though. :blush: I did not know about the "E" stamp for Ellis guns and will have to look for that on the Mac when I get home.

I've always wondered how a person could get a certificate of authenticity or be able to track what movies a particular weapon was used in but they probably didn't keep those kind of records for something like a lowly Mac compared to the Red Dawn AK's or the Rambo M-60.

Edited by booger hooker

Any DD in these sales. I have a C&R 81mm Mortar that I was told was a movie gun when I bought it. It would be good if I could prove it since I am going to try and auction it off this year. Thanks for any info.