X Drum

I've been getting reluctant to take my L drums out of the safe as the price seems to be aproaching lunicrus preportions for them. Whenever anyone finds out I have a Thompson ( most people don't care if it's semi or not ) and beg to try the gun and ALWAYS want to use the damn drum. Got a wicked scratch from last clumsy person I let try it. Fortunately it was the 45% WH not the 80%Seymore

I was wondering if anyone knew if the Khar x drums worked, at least better than the average Khar semi. I hate to buy anything just for display especially when Khar's web sight is asking $170 for a drum ( blatent robery) I've seen a few places to get the X's for about $100. Just wondering if anyone has tried one of these and if I should steer clear of them or if they would work.

Thanks,

BB

I bought one for the same reason. Arizona Gun Runners had the best price at the time @$110.00

Seems to work just fine and they are an inexpensive source of internals to put in that wildly over priced drum. No one needs to know at the range the internals are not a mint nickle plated example with a two digit serial number!!

I have visited with Merle Bitikofer recently on the new X drums that Kahr is selling. Bad news is the price went up. Good news is they are better than the old ones. They fit or slide onto the gun better. The spring is nice and strong. I had one of the rotors in hand just recently and used it to make a new rotor for an XL drum. Merle will sell these to you as he is a distributor.

Numrich might have some of the old cheaper X drums in their inventory yet but fit and funtion are not as good.

I'd wait half a year and pry for a bad law to go away before I dumped $170 on an X drum. Might be able to get a new L drum for similar money in the future. (write your legislators)

Dan

Bisley, For the "You have a Thompson!!! Can I shoot it?!!!" people, have an M1 or M1/A1 in the safe in front of your drum enabled TSMG (best kept in a different safe or shrouded from view).

Only sticks, no scratched or dropped and dented drums or gouges to the receiver finish to worry about.

SecondAmend,

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif Intresting idea, but it's the people at the range who do that, no one see's my gunsafe usally. Something about the drum makes everyone excited. That and some of my friends used to live in Chiago and have the whole 30's gangster thing going including showing up in trench coat when I told them I'd let them try it.

BB

Bisley, For situations like yours I have three rules that I place before the would-be drum shooter: (1) you pay for what you shoot - $12.80 for the 50, my price from ammoman.com for Federal Red Eagle FMJs, the only thing I shoot in the TSMG, (2) you empty the drum, you reload the drum - once they see what a hassle that is, the urge to play gangster is significantly damped, and (3) you damage drum or gun, you pay to get it fixed.

Okay, these may seem harsh rules and do not make friends, but if they aren't willing to follow what I believe are fair rules, then they never really were friends or decent family members, or I do not want them as new friends.

Good luck!