Thompson 1928 Bolt Jam - Help!

I have a West Hurley 1928 with the bolt jammed about 3/4 of the way closed. It appears that it jammed after firing just before extraction. When I removed the lower, I found the recoil buffer shattered into very small pieces. I assume that some of these pieces have worked their way behind the bolt jamming it in its current state. I have attempted to attack it lightly with a rubber rubber hammer with no result. Any suggestions?

Your in the right mode. Mine did that several years back and it had to be at Tracie Hill's shoot. He popped it a few times with a rubber mallet and it worked free. Just make sure the teeth are out, the shells. The spring is now shoot. It will be bent a some point, so time for a new spring also.So if you need to, you can cut it out. Take your time. Don't push it too hard. That part is usually the one part on a WH the should be replaced with GI parts. And of course you will need one of my handy new buffers! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

There are other things that can lock up a WH, like the hammer pin.

Don’t force anything, if it’s just the broken red fibre buffer it should come free fairly easily- otherwise it likely needs some professional help.