M1918 Ammo

Hello fellow members, my form4 was recently approved for Winchester m1918, hopefully will have the time to pick it up from the dealer in September. Not much 30-06 in my stocks, I am searching the net for deals. It looks like the best value is Privi Partizan 500 round case (for M1 garand) costing around $325 but all of the sellers are out during the current ammo crisis. It looks like most deals below $1 per round are out (I use ammo deals to search out options by price, at https://gun.deals/category/ammo ).

For what is currently available, several options exist for bullet weight and type (150 grain and higher bullets, soft points, FMJ, etc). I assume FMJ types are best suited to the m1918, and wonder if other bullet types may cause feeding issues in the magazine and or ramp? I would be interested to hear from the experts on the best type and weight of bullet to focus on for procurement. I do reload and intend to recycle this brass for future reloading.

Gratefully, Nate in MN

Edited by nate129

Nate ,

I have a Winchester also.

Have shot nothing but reloads so far. 150 and 180 gr Soft points and 175 gr M72 match. All work fine.

For the powder I use 3031, and go a few grains lighter than recommended.

Sometimes you can find a deal on projectiles , that can't be found on cartridges.

I always clean the gas tube after shooting to guard against rust from condensation.

Jim C

Before you leave there, ask your dealer. He generally has some ammo laying around.....and he never shoots that type of ammo. If you offer to lift/move it, the price often drops. HTH

Once the CMP pile dried up, the flippers quit flipping it because it just got too expensive to move quantity. Unfortunately today, high shipping costs, no gun shows, and sales tax have taken all the fun out of the ammo biz. Today if I have to, I usually buy from SGammo.

The privi stuff was .60 per round consistently from SgAMmo before the corona and never had a misfire on it from my BAR. Same price as the HXP when CMP was last selling it. Sh Ammo or ammo expre, which is a related site with no tax and free shipping of things ever get back to close to normal.

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I picked up the gun from my dealer yesterday. Things are busy for me but hopefully in a few weeks when things calm down I will have the time to post some pictures.

Fortunately my dealer had some 30-06, I purchased 1,400 rounds FMJ. It appears I have the following:

-480 early 1960s FN. Marked N/C assume this indicates Non Corrosive. Packed in 5 round striper clips in cloth bandoleers.

-480 Greek on garrand clips, early 1970s. Marked NC

-440 rounds marked, "Remington Arms 1955 boxer primed made for Colombia" Packed in 20 round cardboard boxes. Boxes stamped," 20 CARTUCHOS CAL. 30 , INDUSTRIA MILITAR , FABRICA GRAL. JOSE MARIA CORDOBA , SOACHA - CUNDINAMARCA , Industria Colombiana" The other side of the box contains the Industria Militar Colombia seal.

Those of you that have been into military surplus for decades have probably fired examples of the above ammo. I believe this is all non corrosive, please correct me if I am mistaken. Since the Remington stuff is marked "boxer primed" I assume I can reload that. Does anyone know if the FN stuff or Greek stuff is reloadable?

As I said in our conversation , FN is Berdan primed and non-reloadable unless you set up to reload Berdan . FN shut down their plant in December of 1957 for a day or so and cleaned out any remaining corrosive stuff . From that day forward , they only produced non-corrosive ammo .

Chris

Thanks Chris for that clarification, I did not remember you mentioning that all FN is Berdan during our phone call with all of the other great information you were providing. Interesting that you mentioned the 1957 date, I was digging through my own ammo stash yesterday and found an old cardboard box written in Spanish "100 Cartuchos Fusil y Ametralladora Cal. 30 Ano 1957, FN Herstal Belgium." Being the date is 1957 it looks like this is likely corrosive. I heard the easiest way to find out is to take a round pull the bullet and check to see if the internal is in powder form or small rods (cordite).

Edited by nate129