Just got back from the local gun show here in Maryland. A Class 3 dealer out of PA had three TSMGs up for sale. The most interesting was an M1A1, serial number 688xxx with matching upper and lower and nice finish overall. a second M1A1 without a sight, and a 28A1 with an unprotected rear sight and Cutts. I hadnt seen a 28A1 with the unprotected sight but it looked original. He was asking 13K, 11.5K and 15K respectively.

Also had an M2 Carbine for 7K and an M14 for 7K, an a couple of MP32/40s? for 12K.

I bought a ww2 helmet for $100.00, that put me over my budget...

Well, I won't disappoint then. It is one thing for the thining herd of 90%+ Colt TSMG's to be in the $20K range for just the gun alone, but it is a different story for what some unscrupulous sellers are advertising their examples for. $7K for an M2? Ouch! 15K for 28A1? I guess that could possibly be where the market is for those, if somebody is paying $13K for an M1A1. After all, JC Devine's sold for 15K before dealer commisions. Vito's funky 28 Navy Colt fetched $12K on it's first go round on Gunbroker. Naturally, that was far away from Vito's $22K selling price, so it is listed again. Only this time, nobody is biting. I suppose when the shit comes down so heavy you need a hat, a $100 helmet is a bargain.

Sounds like it was old Dennis Todd with his 1928 WH with a parts kit M1 lower and a "L" site. The M1 w/o a site had screws in it. The other was a Savage 1928 that had been re-blued several times. Priced a little high but he will dicker(don't go there) on price.

I was there also! That 1928A1 with the apparantly wrong lower frame (pin instead of paddles controls) was too high, in my opinion. So were the others, but Dennis is an upright dealer. If you think they are too high, make a note of what he has and keep looking and comparing.

Some nice 20 round magazines for $50 (NOT).

You need to remember that the price on the tag is only the asking price......take a stab at making an offer....pay on time (you;ll have 3-4 months to come up with the cash before the transfer goes through).

Prices are through the roof now, and a lot of owners are dreaming ("If I could only get twenty grand for that old gun, I'd sell it").

But there are still bargains out there....just look around!

Good luck!

john

What kind of premium is reasonable for a matching upper and lower on an M1A1? With all the rebuilds I would think that makes a nice difference. If your looking at an unmatched set, and all the parts kits around, your reallly just buying the reciiever right?