M60 Flavors: E1, E3, E4, E6: Which one and why?

I have a RIA E1 and planned to get a new E6 kit so I had the original config and the latest and greatest and then I stumbled across a deal an a mint E3 kit with a bunch of barrels that I couldn't pass up. I'm still toying with the idea of getting the E6 kit also. One guy told me that the E3 stuff is the best made stuff I should just shoot that and ignore that the E6 exists.

I think I could sell the mint E3 kit for around $5k with a few barrels so basically is the E6 worth a $3k upgrade over a Saco Defense E3 setup. I've heard some say the Saco Defense stuff was the best quality stuff made with top notch steel.

Any thoughts?

I bought my M60 with an E3 setup installed, but I run it now in the E1 configuration.

There were several issues I don't like with my particular E3 setup. First, it won't pull a belt off the ground when shooting the gun offhand like a deer rifle (with the short barrel). I have to load the belt up in the attached assault box or have someone hold the belt, or one hand Rambo the thing while feeding it with my other hand. Also, the upward wings on the forend do not extend up high enough to prevent my hand from being burned by the barrel. This usually happens while picking the gun up off the ground or when putting it down.

And thirdly....it just looks lame in the E3 configuration.

Tony

Edited by TonyRumore

Tony,

The first issue about not enough pull is fixed in the E6 config so I am told. Looking lame in other configs... E1 does look cool and has history and I will never get rid of the original config. I do think E3 and E6 is cool also. It's odd. Very few people actually own one.. so it's tough getting feedback.

Well, i can't speak to the E3, as I have never played with one, but I can say that I love the E1 for it's historical significance and I love the E6 because it's so damn small and light, with all the tacti-cool features. I regularly switch between the two and can't say which is my favorite.

Well - there is a lot to be said for the M60 - I posted a bunch of photos in one of the last strings, I personally have 3. Two post and one transferable. One is in the E1 config, one M-60D ( more fun to shoot off a mount standing) and one E4. I dont know much about the E6, as I quite worrying about it when I retired. I used the E1 a lot in a training environment, shot thousands of rds of Blank with MILES, more thousands live on the range .I shoot my guns a lot. We used the E4 ( had several ) for SRT teams along with M249s. One man guns, and a lot of firepower. I guess it really depends on what YOU want think is cool, and what use you are going to put the M60 to. if you area recreational shooter, you really dont need the upgraded E4 & E6. The weight savings will mean nothing if you are not running and gunning with the 60. The gun will be more reliable when fired off-hand if you use some sort of assault box - even the cloth bandoleer is better than leaving a belt hanging. A- gunners were handy for feeding the belt . Personally I like the E4, a it is shorter, lighter, handier and really a much better gun. We shoot off pedestal mounts for most recreational shooting, except the E4. The E6 will be the same I assume, with some refinements. Cost questions really depend on what your financial situation is. If $3-5 k is not a big deal, spend it and enjoy it. Keep the E3 stuff. SACO made good stuff, but the new barrels are really much better metallurgy. If you needto sell it to get the E6, I am not sure I would do it. But we are back to what you think looks cool. OR you need the light weight gun to operate in a combat environment and the weight savings means operational flexibility. The gun is easy to change configuration and easy to work on.

http://photos.imageevent.com/blinde/photocollection/websize/DSC09384.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/blinde/weponscollection/websize/DSC05391.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/blinde/workpictures/websize/DSC01079.JPG

Edited by MG08

Mine came with E1 and E3/E4 kits. Either configuration, it's a bad ass looking and fun machine gun. Either way it's lighter and much more capable of shoulder fire than any other full sized .30 belt fed out there. Mine came with enough spares and I've stumbled across enough more to keep mine running forever. Whichever appeals to you the most is what you should get. A guy named Aaron on Sturmgewehr (don't know him) seems to have a lot of nice parts reasonably priced.