Finned Barrel With Compensator

I am Chris Chapman awhile ago I posted for sale a finned barrel w/compensator and an adustable sight. I sold the sight and now I need to sell or trade the barrel with compensator. The barrel is a new made, 10.5in, it is blued, and the rifling is mint (spent it's time on a dummy gun). The compensator is blued as well, has the front sight, and has the Thompson bullet logo in front of the cutts on the compensator. The only problem with the barrel is the previous owner dinged 3 of the fins on the barrel. I am willing to trade the finned barrel and the compensator for a 10.5 smooth barrel, prefferably with sight but not needed. The 10.5in smooth barrel should have a good outside finish, I don't care if the rifling is horrible, since I'm making a blank gun. I will also sell the barrel and the compensator for $180, plus a $10 shipping fee. I accept money orders or check on delivery. If you have any questions or a 10.5in smooth barrel you want to trade e-mail me at prestwould.b.b@citynet.net. I also have a few pictures so if you want to see them I can e-mail them to you. Thanks

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Aug 14 2005, 01:32 AM)
Let's see if I've got this right.  You would like $190 for a recently manufactured Kahr Arms barrel with banged up fins and one of their reproduction compensators, which some of our members find to nearly fall off or else move around somewhat freely, because of excessive thread tolerances between the two components and poor installation practices?  Has somebody wrenched this barrel on or off, damaging the fins?  few people want to put a barrel like this on any gun for any reason, even if it is a give away. 

I'm wondering what might motivate a board member to pay nearly $200 for this, or am I missing something?

Phil,

I don't know who would want a Kahr barrel either but , beleive it or not, the total price for these parts on the Kahr site is $298 & shipping.

Phil,

Not to cast too many negative aspersions on the well meaning Kahr engineers, BUT they were at last year's TCA Show & Shoot and where have we gone from there? Kahr corporate still seems to be regarding the Thompson brand as a "cash cow" to be milked without any meaningful level of investment in such basic areas as effective quality control.

I truly hope we can see real progress from Kahr in the times ahead.

(I could not make this year's show due to work constraints. I hope everyone had a good time.)

MP

Phil,

Glad to hear that someone from Kahr was there.

I think I will take a moment to make a couple of points at the risk of riling the Kahr haters on the board. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

First off, I not any happier with the quality of their products than anyone else is. Also I don't like the Moonie connection.

That being said, they're the only game in town. There's no one else chomping at the bit to produce these guns.

If Kahr is showing signs that they want to improve their product, then they are at least headed in the right direction.

One of the things we all love about the TSMG is the quality and workmanship that went into them. Not surprisingly, Kahr is finding that Colt & wartime production is a tough act to follow. They've got along way to go to come anywhere near matching this kind of quality but at least there is someone trying.

Lancer,

Kahr is "the only game in town" as they (via their parent company) are the present trademark (and in turn trade dress) owner of the "Thompson" brand name for firearms in the U.S. Others may be "chomping at the bit" but unless Kahr were to benignly allow the others to infringe on the "Thompson" trademark, an injuction would surely be sought by Kahr and would surely be granted.

Even though George Numrich and Ira Trast encountered some production issues with their post-war Thompsons, by all accounts that I've read, Kahr built guns and drums are of far worse quality. I stand open for correction.

I do not hate Kahr personally. I take exception to their treatment of the Thompson brand as a "cash cow." To date, Kahr has talked the talk, but has yet to walk the walk.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

MP