I'm new - AR drop-in sear and other fun stuff can I do?

pmcclain

Hello friends - I have a Colt SP-1 AR-15 with s a steel drop-in auto sear. I built it in the early 80's on a form 1. The lower receiver is registered not the drop in sear. I think I paid less than $700 for the new gun and less than $75 for the sear and other parts. Back then for me, that was a ton of money. I've taken it out a handful of times and shot it. It runs great. Recently I've gotten more interested in shooting and reloading so it has had more rounds put thru it in the past year then the previous 35.

I 'd like to buy a spare drop-in auto sear for parts. I have no access or knowledge to making one myself and I hope I never need any parts, mine looks just fine. But these things seem to be very rare. So do any of you know of a person that can make these? I sure would like to talk to them and have no problem with sending them my paperwork to show I'm legit and not trying to do something illegal.

Another dumb question, will other of the many caliber uppers function as select-fire on my registered lower? The bolt carrier's on the various uppers will they match-up with my sear? One of the modifications I had to do on my AR-15 as you all know, was change the bolt carrier to a M-16 type.

We all have said it many times....If I only knew back then what was going to happen with these things we would be very wealthy people. I just recently learned a M11 that I paid $400 for is now worth $8K!

Interesting tax stamp situation. The lower and not the "drop in" being stamped. Opens many $lucrative$ doors? Also some legality questions if stuff separated. Probably the best thing you can do at this point is write the BATFE and ask them. Be prepared to wait. Strange things happened back then regarding what was tax stamped.

Far as I know you can swap out ANY other top you want. The front take down pin configuration, (screw) may restrict your options, but adapters exist also so you can use later type push pin upper groups. A gray area MAY be just $converting$ your SP1 lower? Not sure. Perhaps others more knowledgeable can chip in here. Good luck.

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

The letter with my Form 1 states I would install the drop in sear as one of the steps to convert it, so as much as I would like the idea of M16 sear with 3 shot burst, that ain't happening. Plus the letter says no modification will be made to the lower except the DIAS and the M-16 trigger parts. Lower receiver has been engraved properly with the required information. What I have been told is as long as I can easily but the gun back like it was (that's with a 20" in 223) - & I can by pushing out 2 pins and swapping an upper. So what do think this thing is worth?

OH, and thanks for the replies! Still waiting on someone to let me know about select-fire with different caliber uppers and perhaps someone that can make a spare DIAS parts kit.

That's a bit of a different situation with more information. You really never "converted" an SP1 you just installed the DIAS. You actually did (by what you describe) make/manufacture the DIAS and incorrectly marked the receiver instead of the MG conversion part (DIAS) that you made. You will need to get a clarification letter from ATF that the part you actually made is the registered part and the firearm (sp1) is just the host it's installed in. They may rule that the DIAS is actually what you should/ did register, they may rule the whole thing is tied together and cannot be separated, or that the receiver is actually the registered part in which case you could drill the hole and do away with the DIAS. Depending on how it goes will determine the path as far as spare parts for the DIAS, which are generally forbidden and only "repairs" allowed. The value will be commensurate with the response you get from ATF. I have seen this go many ways depending on who writes the letter and the timeframe in which it is submitted.

Value right now maybe 5K because the whole thing is a gamble and potentially in limbo and will take significant time to straighten out. If you get the DIAS separated as the registered part, possibly 30K if it was made well. If the receiver is deemed to be the registered part, maybe 15K.

You can swap out any uppers you like. Not all will work with a DIAS for a whole host of mechanical/ technical reasons. Even shrikes have been made to work with DIAS lower setups. HTH

Thanks, perhaps the best way to go about this is ask ATF like you said. I've gotten conflicting answers from Class III dealers. Perhaps it is my fault for not describing my paperwork in detail. The last dealer I spoke with who has been in the business many years and saw my Form 1, told me my lower is the registered part and if I ever broke the sear, I can replace or repair it. The drop-in sear was not made by me, I ordered it way back ago, back when you could. To me it looks well made, it is steel. I'll make a picture and attach it to this thread later this week. On the uppers, I'll have to keep searching for answers on what works and what doesn't. I'm not too far from Knob Creek Range and next month (Oct) is their next shoot. Its been a while since I have been there, so I think it would be fun to see all the toys, and perhaps get more information from that gathering of folks.

• 11 months later...
The problem with Dias is the 90 degree cuts at the bottom of the sear. Iam not a machineist, but when my friend looked at one, (machinist for 33yrs)that was the first thing that caught his eye. If the inside corners are in the shape of a crescent they have more metal and not likely to break. I have seen ones like yours split at the 90 degree corners. Hope that helps you some.