Lyman Adjustable Sight Help

My 1927A1 has a Lyman adjustable sight. I added this sight to the gun, it is not original to the gun. When the sight is in the down position, recoil from firing causes the sight to move forward on the slide. When I raise the sight to use the apature, it has moved from the "1" position to about the "5" or "6". Is this normal or is there a way to tighten the sight and prevent this?

The slide on the Lyman 55B sight has a tiny spring loaded ratchet that engages

serrations machined into the left side of the ladder. The ratchet is pressed into a

very small, very thin flat sping which is held to the slide by a screw. When all is

well when you move the slide you get a distinctive "ZZZZZ" sound made by the

ratchet sliding along the serrations.

If your slide is loose it could be a worn or loose ratchet, a worn out spring, a

bent or damaged spring, or some or all of these tiny parts could be missing.

If all the parts are there, make sure the screw is tight. If so you might be able to

bend the flat spring to get the ratchet to function properly.

Unfortunately its almost impossible (in my experience) to find these tiny parts

to be able to effect a repair.

Bob

Enforcer,

Excellent information and advice from reconbob. I have found this to be a fairly common phenomenon with the Lyman sights, irrespective of whether the ratchet spring screw is tightened. If you are using the rear aperture in the folded down position, leave it at the top of the slide to begin with and it won't move during firing. Reset the round aperture to the desired distance when you use the sight in the up position for longer distances.

Enforcer,

Excellent information and advice from reconbob. I have found this to be a fairly common phenomenon with the Lyman sights, irrespective of whether the ratchet spring screw is tightened. If you are using the rear aperture in the folded down position, leave it at the top of the slide to begin with and it won't move during firing. Reset the round aperture to the desired distance when you use the sight in the up position for longer distances.

Thanks to both of you gentlemen. As I think about it, after I check out the sight for completeness or damage, I'll follw the procedure outlined by gijive.